Can any one recommend a good vension cook book , with everthing in from burgers up to cooking whole joints? thanks

This is a recipe for a Venison pie that I got out of a little recipe book called Favourite Game Recipes << (click on the link) I picked this book up for just £1.50 and I would recommend it to anyone who's into their cooking. It isn't just Venison but it has a good few real nice venison recipes in there mate.

Ingredients -

2lb Venison (cut into 1 inch cubes).

2 oz flour.

Pinch of Ground mace.

Pinch of All spice.

Salt and Pepper.

5 fl.oz red wine.

5 fl.oz red wine vinegar.

10 fl.oz venison or beef stock (I used Beef stock).

2 onions (Peeled and sliced).

Half a tablespoon of chopped Parsley.

1 tablespoon of redcurrant jelly.

12 oz puff pastry.

First make sure the meat is washed clean, remove any fat and gristle, and tenderise the meat with a mallet or rolling pin.

Mix the flour with the mace and all spice and season well with salt and pepper.

Dust the cubed meat with the flour mixture.

Put in a saucepan with the wine, vinegar and sufficient stock to cover the meat.

Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour, then add the onions and Parsely, and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Remove from the heat, allow to cool and skim off any fat from the surface (I had very little to skim off)

Roll out your pastry on a floured surface, lay the bottom part of the pastry in a suitable pie dish.

Put the (now cooled) venison mixture into the pie dish.

Add the Redcurrant jelly and remaining stock from the saucepan.

Roll out the pastry that you're going to use as the pies lid on a floured surface, cover the pie, seal the edges, make a steam hole.

Pre heat the oven to a setting of 450F or Gas Mark 8, bake for about 25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.

Serves 4 - 6 people (All depending on how greedy you are of course biggrin.gif )

This pie makes for some bloody good eating! Enjoy!

• 3 months later...