dont like the triggers on the cz

I'll agree with you there, i find it far too light

Too light? Good lord, you wouldn't like my tweaked triggers at all then!! You can adjust it to make it heavier :)

Kev, how big are the bits of land? Are they near housing? Do the people moan at you about the noise from the shotgun? How far do you think you will need to shoot?

Answer these questions before choosing the calibre, and tbh, with 12 places to shoot, I'd put HMR, 22LR and possibly a 22 centrefire on the FAC application, I expect you could justify it and it will make life easier in the future.

dont like the triggers on the cz

I'll agree with you there, i find it far too light

Too light? Good lord, you wouldn't like my tweaked triggers at all then!! You can adjust it to make it heavier :)

Kev, how big are the bits of land? Are they near housing? Do the people moan at you about the noise from the shotgun? How far do you think you will need to shoot?

Answer these questions before choosing the calibre, and tbh, with 12 places to shoot, I'd put HMR, 22LR and possibly a 22 centrefire on the FAC application, I expect you could justify it and it will make life easier in the future.

hello mr logic

the land i have is from 90 acers up to 1200 acer farms none are small farms .have never had a moan about shotgun going off.rabbit shots will be somewhere near the 60 to 70 yard range from all the info iv been given i think the 22lr will suit what i want do you agree ??

from what you say i would go for the hmr, since getting my hmr 6 months ago i have only used the .22 once.the reason for this is i have more peace of mind knowing there is much less chance of a ricochet with the hmr and the extended range . i would also get a cz, i got the full setup for £480 new. good luck with whatever you decide.

This thread is about as confusing for Kev as it can be :blink: One post says .22, the next HMR, whats a man to think :laugh:

If you have permission of that size Kev, I would most definitely put a HMR and a .22 on your application form. You could more than justify them on land such as that :yes:

Before you apply, ask if you are needed to control the fox population on any of your farms. If so, then put a .22 Centrefire on there as well .223/.22-250 etc

Don't make the choice for one gun now, make it when you have used both on your permissions, if you like them both, then keep both ;)

SS :thumbs:

This thread is about as confusing for Kev as it can be :blink: One post says .22, the next HMR, whats a man to think :laugh:

If you have permission of that size Kev, I would most definitely put a HMR and a .22 on your application form. You could more than justify them on land such as that :yes:

Before you apply, ask if you are needed to control the fox population on any of your farms. If so, then put a .22 Centrefire on there as well .223/.22-250 etc

Don't make the choice for one gun now, make it when you have used both on your permissions, if you like them both, then keep both ;)

ss has summarised it pretty well. if your budget will allow, do just that. atb jack

im sending my fac applicaton off tomorow morning, ive done exactly what SS is saying here. makes sense to keep your options open and find out which rifle/rifles suit you best for your needs.

nice one SS :thumbs:

One thing i would like to mention is useing a bipod i personally use shooting sticks, with a bipod you still need somewhere to rest the bipod and think if you shoot prone this time of year you are lieing in mud, water and maybe cows s--t not very nice, also because of the low arc of fire you have to watch the back drop more. Where as with shooting sticks you are shooting from a standing position so are shooting down in to the ground and also shooting over the top of any long grass, undulations in the ground ect. And also great for use when sitting. Anyway thats my view but i think worth thinking about.

Some very interesting comments on the choice of .22 rifles.I have had several .22 rifles since i started shooting,going right back to a Weatherby Berretta in 1994,a Ruger 10/22 and a cz452 silouette,I also had the cz 17hmr.

I think that asking advice on which rifle really does open a debate that is totally unanswerable by one person.I absolutely loved the Weatherby and hit more than i missed with it,it was a cheap secondhand gun and nothing special at all,but did the job.I then fell and broke the stock and with it been an old gun it was so expensive to have it repaired.I then bought a 10/22 as we know a semi,through the years i had so much trouble with it jamming and the important shots resulted in that awful CLICK from a misfire.I asked around on what to do ,it ranged from throw it away to clean the barrels and change ammo.So then the next debate was do i clean the barrel or not,plenty on here will say yes,then plenty will say no.

I bought a .17hmr and with having plenty of land to shoot over thought that was it there would be no rabbit safe now.

An absolute pleasure to use and so accurate to almost state that if the crosshairs were on the target it was dead.

I got rid of the rifle after 16 month,the noise was not what i wanted,i took a shot and the rabbits within 200 yrds went to ground, then there is the cost of the ammo,compared to drink it is nothing but i feel that as been twice as much as .22 it did not warrant having one.

Then i got the CZ .22,now we are talking,i use Eley Subs through it and i contacted a shooting supplies in South Yorks for the trigger springs and i now have the perfect weapon for ME not you or anyone else but ME.However now that the Eley subs work in the 10/22 i have two perfect weapons for me.With there accuracy and quietness i can have real good results either during daylight or by lamping,and the noise does not put the rabbits off nowhere as much as the .17

So it is really up to you,use these comments as a guide but at the end of the day you decide on your choices.

By the way i would be very surprised if you get an open ticket on the first application,and let the farmers know that you are applying for the rifle as no doubt the Police will contact the farmers asking questions about the land,could be a bit embarrassing if the farmers were unaware that you were planning on this without there permission only speaking from MY experience.

Another query i had,i have my rifles and moderators on my ticket,however a friend i know did not put down for a moderator and was not granted one ,he simply went and bought one saying it was for an air rifle and there are no requirements to have a license for the rifle or the moderator,so is it illegal to use a moderator bought for an air rifle on a .22 rimfire.

Best wishes