What do you think Chaps

Guest JOEB

Guest JOEB

Now that we have the 3 top men on here I was after an opinion on some wire that I made some snares out of today.

Having trouble finding brass wire local on a drum, so used some 0.6 copper coated steel welding wire which I have wound up into 2 strand wires its very strong and seems to keep it memory superb.

Its a bit harder to work i.e. you cant tie the knot when put throug the eye of the tealer, you have to twist back up on itself to make the swivel and I think I will have to take a small pair of pliers to adjust the eye in the field.

Just wondered if GW, P&G or WOODGA had any experience of using this type of wire, any reason to not use it?

The only downside I can see is that it may have to much memory and spring open enough to allow escape.

Your opinions would be great fellas. :good:

JOEB

I thought about using it aswell, when i was searching for brass down here. I think being steel it might kink, and thats why they dont use it. Go to www.gameandcountry.info and email them and they will sell you some brass wire for rabbits. Thats what i did, when you think about the work that has gone into experimenting with snares ect... they must use the brass for a reason.

I think it would work out cheaper aswell, becayse that welding wire can be rather expensive.

still might be fun trying around with it though

according to glen you have allready had 1500 peg wires and several rolls of brass and sold them on the internet :laugh: glen has left the contents of his shed to me in his will you have been cut off :laugh::laugh: iv got 200 break aways in the post made from new wire glen says they are the biz and if you need any you have to contact him :whistle:GOOD HUNTING ALL WOODGA :ph34r:

Guest chilli

No f**k all about snareing but were i use to work they had wire erroders the wire they used was real thin an strong as f**k would that be any good for snare makeing ?

Guest rattingaddict
No f**k all about snareing but were i use to work they had wire erroders the wire they used was real thin an strong as f**k would that be any good for snare makeing ?

no..tried it...but it could just be me :icon_redface:

i used to "spark and wire errode for a living....

it kinks easy, i tried it for a light weight spinning trace while fishing

according to glen you have allready had 1500 peg wires and several rolls of brass and sold them on the internet :laugh: glen has left the contents of his shed to me in his will you have been cut off :laugh::laugh: iv got 200 break aways in the post made from new wire glen says they are the biz and if you need any you have to contact him :whistle:GOOD HUNTING ALL WOODGA :ph34r:

You b*****ds :angry::angry::laugh::laugh:

Guest rattingaddict
Yeah i remeber it was a b*****d for kinking !

Excellnet bits of kits though them eroders ! you can knock up some lovely bit of kit with them !

great for making stuff that takes you days by hand...

cheated all the way through my HNC's

throwing stars were a popular toy :D:D