How do you Lamp?

How do you Lamp?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• On foot?
    • Using some sort of Vehicle?
    • A mixture of both.

I'm curious.

I was thinking while out lamping tonight on foot, and perusing about how nice it would be to use a vehicle to get around the place.

I got to thinking, "How many others lamp on foot all of the time?"

75% of the ground I lamp you cannot use a vehicle, it is either too uneasy and uneven to a degree that makes it dangerous, or it is too wet, perhaps a Canoe would be an idea on some of the places.

How do you lamp?

SS :thumbs:

Always on foot the fields we lamp are to small to drive in and the gates are always locked. And of course if we find ourselves somewhere we're not supposed to be its easy to slip away. Never saw the appeal of driving round field after field looking for quarry and opening doors to let dogs out but thats just me, :blink:

Edited by undisputed

When out after rabbits - always on foot as I tend to know what fields are likely to be productive.

With regards foxing - it depends. I have found over the years that some foxes get to know that the noise of the truck coming towards them signals danger. Therefore, I can honestly say that just about all forays after fox that have produced several foxes in a night, have been on foot.

If you are shooting on your own, then the truck is more convenient.

I would add when ambushing foxes with the N/V then the truck if I can get to that area.

So my vote is it depends.

Peter

Guest Rod&dog

When i was a keeper we used to cover the whole ground or as much as we could a night to shoot as much vermin as possible,,So driving the feilds in a landrover,mule or quad All the time,,And it was rough hilly ground most of the time,,Alough now ive got some smaller ground we tend to walk about as driving the feilds would not be practical,, small feilds and not many gaps,,Most of our work is on foot,, plus we take the lurchers incase we wound something.