Doe in the snow

Arrived 7.20 am this morning as it was breaking light , hard frost on the ground so I wasnt too optimistic but went for a stalk anyway.

After half an hour or so I glassed a doe feeding on a pheasant feeder stealing the wheat. As the ground was very noisy I didnt think I would be able to stalk up to her as I had to cross some open ground. I carefully crossed the open ground when she had her head stuck under the feeder knocking the spring to release the wheat , a quick check with the bins and she was still feeding, things looking good.

I then stalked down the back of a hedgerow very slowly , every step testing the ground before applying my full weight. Another check of the bins and she was still feeding :D I got to the edge of the hedge and couldnt go no further as I would lose sight of her so I placed my rifle on the sticks and took her at around 80 yards :D

She was a very large , healthy doe . I have never seen so much fat around the kidneys , it came off in big handfuls.

A very enjoyable mornings stalk................

2roefeb09001.jpg

Looks in very nice condition, nice coat on her.

Roe are my favrourite deer - for both stalking and eating!

I keep the fat from around the kidneys and chop up and freeze it, to mix with the mince when making bambi-burgers.

Envious - shot my quota of does for this year, so waiting for the buck season to open!

Well done,

RH

Arrived 7.20 am this morning as it was breaking light , hard frost on the ground so I wasnt too optimistic but went for a stalk anyway.

After half an hour or so I glassed a doe feeding on a pheasant feeder stealing the wheat. As the ground was very noisy I didnt think I would be able to stalk up to her as I had to cross some open ground. I carefully crossed the open ground when she had her head stuck under the feeder knocking the spring to release the wheat , a quick check with the bins and she was still feeding, things looking good.

I then stalked down the back of a hedgerow very slowly , every step testing the ground before applying my full weight. Another check of the bins and she was still feeding :D I got to the edge of the hedge and couldnt go no further as I would lose sight of her so I placed my rifle on the sticks and took her at around 80 yards :D

She was a very large , healthy doe . I have never seen so much fat around the kidneys , it came off in big handfuls.

A very enjoyable mornings stalk................

2roefeb09001.jpg

well done mate nice looking doe :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: