Plummer owners please

Guest GLENN WELSBY

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stantheman

Why do u lot get upset about the p/t, if u don/t like it don/t bother with this thred, I like them mine is ok very frendly with dogs& cats, some off u don/t even own them so u don/t no them.

Guest Keeps

They are about as bad tempered and quarrelsome as most working terriers..Ive never known more bad tempered dogs than the old JRT's we used to keep .........but I agree that they are generally unsuitable as pets.......mainly because they need to be worked and, if they arent, require a huge amount of stimulation/exercise to keep them happy.

We will have to agree to disagree then. All the years ive been going to terrier shows, ive never seen any breed latch on to other dogs, each other, stand barking and growling as i do the plummers (PTA or PTAGB)

It always used to be the Bedlington terriers prior to the Plummers, these were the dogs you avoided standing next to at shows :yes:

Plummers are not like other terriers in temprement at all, the issue of their aggression is brought up time and time again on forums, so it must be well known. You dont hear people complaining about aggression being common with other working breeds?

At the falconry fair last weekend a bloke who didnt know what they were, and he is a very established dogman, said he couldnt believe their temprement, he was standing with the beagles next to the plummer show ring and had watch them latch on time again, and their general demeanour, so its not just me.

I agree all dogs require stimulation and exercise, terriers especially, regardless if they are bred workers or not. But the majority of people do not have big open fields, places to mooch and bush daily, or the ability to work plummers as much as is required to keep them calm. But from what i can gather even this isnt enough for alot of Plummers, if what ive personally seen is anything to go by?

MOLL.

:unsure: does that mean the bedlingtons have stopped scrapping now moll - now the plummers are around? :unsure: There have always been scraps at terriers shows, thats what terriers do!! Ask anyone - have a look here http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=571 The plummers at Selby this year were extremely well behaved - more so than the black dog and russell who won and promptly latched to each other. And its not just terriers that fight either is it - lurchers do too :yes: .....sometimes...

Then your dogs have been trained well Glen, perhaps you have also learned as you have progressed with these terriers? The majority i have seen are not.

Imo most working dogs in general are good natured beasts, they get enough stimulation through working they have no need to fight.

I think Millet is referrring to the dogs prior to the outcross in 1998?

MOLL.

Anyone who owns more than one terrier knows what feisty little creatures they are and that they will fight at the drop of a hat - I kept (and rehomed) a lakie x that was the most argumentative nasty little terrier that I have ever known - it was passed on to a terrierman who couldnt keep it - it works - very well I might add, somewhere in Devon now but it will fight at the drop of a hat :search:

Do you speak for millet now too? :unsure:

As has been said earlier, why do you people continue to hijack these threads if you have no interest in plummer terriers surely the best thing you can do is keep off :wacko:

66f94e39.jpg

9f1609dd.jpg

58f27b50.jpg

9deb1820.jpg

Guest rattingaddict

Keeps the last time a plummer thread was on here..You got the arse on and your lad started shooting his mouth off.(about freds dog taking foxes..all bollocks).so why dont you keep out of it

stick to running back to your buddy

Guest Keeps
Keeps the last time a plummer thread was on here..You got the arse on and your lad started shooting his mouth off.(about freds dog taking foxes..all bollocks).so why dont you keep out of it

addict - Smudge said nothing about Freds dog - so stop telling porkies. Why are you telling me to keep out of it - perhaps you should try it too :wacko: Unity - it will never happen - will it :wacko:

Why are you arguing with me - I am saying that i DO NOT think that plummers make suitable pets and that they should continue to be worked - dont you agree? :blink:

Thats all I have to say.

Guest rattingaddict

addict - Smudge said nothing about Freds dog - so stop telling porkies. Why are you telling me to keep out of it - perhaps you should try it too :wacko: Unity - it will never happen - will it :wacko:

Why are you arguing with me - I am saying that i DO NOT think that plummers make suitable pets and that they should continue to be worked - dont you agree? :blink:

Thats all I have to say.

Thats all I have to say.

If someone hadnt have got the tit on about the other plummer post, i could have copied and posted your lads words, i even had pms regarding it..it was that f**king funny

that was you running ya mouth off rat-boy and not smudge as i posted up esay now :yes:

remember? and not once did smudge say anything about fred.. remember?

That was me u said easy now fellow to. :D:D:laugh: and what as this subject got to do with you nothing exactley :laugh:

:laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

that was you running ya mouth off rat-boy and not smudge as i posted up esay now :yes:

remember? and not once did smudge say anything about fred.. remember?

That was me u said easy now fellow to. :D:D:laugh: and what as this subject got to do with you nothing exactley :laugh:

easy now yorkie-boy :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: xxx

Guest grubygrafter

iv'e kept russells for more years than i care to mention and there is no doupt in my mind that they

scrap as much as any terrier breed if not more so. i know what i keep so i have them under control. my

old dog is that gassy he would fight with his shadow this is most aparant in the show enviroment. and rarely

shows itself in the field. the show scene is not good for terriers and would kick off most terriers. lakies and patts and borders also if given chance will fight at the drop of a hat. to me dogs fighting in the shows or anywhere else for that matter. tells me more about the owners than the dogs. i try to be true to my breed.

(jacks) and defend them where nessesary. but can also see the good and bad in other breeds.

it says a lot to me that every thread that mentions plummer runs on a bit and most times the original post is lost. i for one follow the plummer posts and enjoy the articals and pics. keep them comming but keep it real.

:yes:

iv'e kept russells for more years than i care to mention and there is no doupt in my mind that they

scrap as much as any terrier breed if not more so. i know what i keep so i have them under control. my

old dog is that gassy he would fight with his shadow this is most aparant in the show enviroment. and rarely

shows itself in the field. the show scene is not good for terriers and would kick off most terriers. lakies and patts and borders also if given chance will fight at the drop of a hat. to me dogs fighting in the shows or anywhere else for that matter. tells me more about the owners than the dogs. i try to be true to my breed.

(jacks) and defend them where nessesary. but can also see the good and bad in other breeds.

it says a lot to me that every thread that mentions plummer runs on a bit and most times the original post is lost. i for one follow the plummer posts and enjoy the articals and pics. keep them comming but keep it real.

:yes:

Someone who knows their dogs!

Any PACK of dogs ,terriers,hounds,running dogs,mixtures, will have strong individuals that we as workers of dogs need to keep in their place .From what Ive seen of the plumber terrier ,they are all strong willed individuals that all need a piece of the action.Fair play to anyone who can keep a small pack of these from scrapping in their own ranks.

Locke says about several dogs on a rat whilst others get away ,which if the d.v.ds are right is what happens,this to me is unnacceptable.The jealousy factor ,strong will, call it what you like ,gets in the way of these dogs being the so called ""best dog for the rats"".

Why are you breeders of this terrier so obsessed with keeping it pure .The introduction of yorkshire terrier ,the hand bag type, may calm the feckers down .