FERRET FOOD

Guest ferret feller

i mix and match 24/7 dry an egg every 3 or 4 days a rabbits head when i get them twice a week mabey?

mine all do a full days work easy and never give up on a rabbit...

kay tryed the little'un and she wouldent enter with a locator collor (too heavy methinks) so i took it off her and let her down an easy open one she went down and showed went back down and showed nothing bolted she will learn in time im in no rush :)

chears

ff

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mix and match 24/7 dry an egg every 3 or 4 days a rabbits head when i get them twice a week mabey?

mine all do a full days work easy and never give up on a rabbit...

kay tryed the little'un and she wouldent enter with a locator collor (too heavy methinks) so i took it off her and let her down an easy open one she went down and showed went back down and showed nothing bolted she will learn in time im in no rush :)

chears

ff

Yes i can very well see the collar being a tad on the big side, i just watered mine & thought to myself my little girl heres so tiny , dainty aint the word :laugh:

does anyone make there own ferret food?

its just i own a carp fishing bait company so make boilies for a living

most companys for all animal feeds just bulk out mixes with crap so surely if you made your own youd get a much better quality food for alot cheaper?

i dont know much about ferrets needs but there carnivores so how about something like:

5 kilo chicken meal for the meat source

1-2 packs of fresh liquidised lambs liver or rabbit

1 kilo kelp meal for vitamins/minerals and fibre

bit of salmon oil for omega fatty acids or liquidised mackerel/sprats

1 kilo of wheatgerm to aid digestion and fibre

6+ eggs for vitamins/protein and binder

mix it all up to a thick paste and either bake in the oven or steam it so the raw eggs dont limit b12 vitamins

then put it in the freezer to keep fresh until you need it

now surely something along those lines would be better for your ferrets and a hell of alot cheaper than the stuff they sell?

especially if only used as part of there diet and topped up with fresh meat

Edited by chalkedup
does anyone make there own ferret food?

its just i own a carp fishing bait company so make boilies for a living

most companys for all animal feeds just bulk out mixes with crap so surely if you made your own youd get a much better quality food for alot cheaper?

i dont know much about ferrets needs but there carnivores so how about something like:

5 kilo chicken meal for the meat source

1-2 packs of fresh liquidised lambs liver or rabbit

1 kilo kelp meal for vitamins/minerals and fibre

bit of salmon oil for omega fatty acids or liquidised mackerel/sprats

1 kilo of wheatgerm to aid digestion and fibre

6+ eggs for vitamins/protein and binder

mix it all up to a thick paste and either bake in the oven or steam it so the raw eggs dont limit b12 vitamins

then put it in the freezer to keep fresh until you need it

now surely something along those lines would be better for your ferrets and a hell of alot cheaper than the stuff they sell?

especially if only used as part of there diet and topped up with fresh meat

Sounds easier to give them a rabbit to gnaw on and cheaper

It might be okay for you mate as you have all the gear but i will stick to rabbits and pigeons as at 30pence a rabbit from the gamedealers i will use all mine for ferret food

DM......

Alright mate, I live in salford which is not that far from warrington proberly about 18/19 miles to where i get my jameswellbeloved from, I get 25kg bags of the stuff for 20 quid and the 7.5 bags are only a tenner. So if your interested pal give us a shout because the guy hasnt always got them. I will get you 1 and them you can collect from me thats if you want some.

Just let us no mate...

Well if anybody wants any in the future just let me no and im sure we can come to some sort of arangement on a price :whistling:

lol.

The guy is alright its just the bags are bust a little bit (still in the bag but taped up) thats all!

Could get a little business going here............................. B)

Edited by bigphil
  • 2 months later...

hello all i have two jills and have run out of rabbit , i feed dry food once a day and meat also once a day untill i can get some rabbit is it all right to feed them some pigs liver just as a short for a day or to untill i bag some bunnies or get to the butchers .

i feed meat in the morning and dry food in evening.

cheers ben

try and order it online mate. Or if you find a farmers merchant type place. They will sell 15 Kg bags of dry cat food. About a tenner a bag but lasts a long while and is basically exactly the same as ferret complete just with something like 2% less protien. And if they get the odd rabbit it should suit fine

The protein in that stuffs soya , not animal, it wont keep the ferrets urine ascidic enough possibly causing struvite sones to build up

I feed my ferret on dry cat food, it says it's got rabbit and duck in it. He also gets fresh rabbit, hare, road kill sqirrels etc.

I had a jill live to 14 years on the same sort of diet, always has fresh water of course