1st Time, 1st result on the wires

Guest JOEB

Went out last night for a walk on the golf course where I have permission and set my first ever wires.

I only had 8 that I had made myself after some great advice from P&G.

The small beats are quite hard to see on the very short grass as 1 of the bigger warrens is a bank right in the middle of the course and the grass is cut right to the edge.

Anyway, up at 5.15 to go and check the wires before all those nutty golfers turn up to smash a wee ball around :no: and get pissed!

Result was: 2 wires had been hit but for some reason the culprits had escaped and 1st bunny taken on my 1st attempt clean round the neck.

The biggest catch of the day was me, because I am now hooked.

The best part is I can now provide a better service to the landowners, so my permission should be safe.

Cant wait till June, going up to do 2 days with P & G :D , although I have heard that hes inclined to touch people :icon_redface::blink::cry:

All the best,

JOEB

ps: Thanks for all the advice Peg ;)

Nice one mate,

Its a great feeling catching ya first rabbit with a snare, they look like some good snares you have made Im sure plenty of lads on here will be able to tell you different factors for why the other rabbits got out of the snare, or knocked them over.

but excellent stuff i cant wait till im catching a few more bunnies with snares

joeb am pleased you caught something as its a great feeling catching youir first one you wont forget it, when woodga took me out to show me we set some fence wires and ,three peg wires out in the field we had a rabbit in all three that feeling of catching them will always be there i was over the moon :good: , again with the good advice you will catch a lot more ,when i seen the size of the loop they use and the height they are set i thought to myself like a lot of people have and some still do :( they will go thru them loops or run under :laugh: ,but how so wrong the results prove the large loops work and work well ,well done joeb keep up the good work :good:

joeb am pleased you caught something as its a great feeling catching youir first one you wont forget it, when woodga took me out to show me we set some fence wires and ,three peg wires out in the field we had a rabbit in all three that feeling of catching them will always be there i was over the moon :good: , again with the good advice you will catch a lot more ,when i seen the size of the loop they use and the height they are set i thought to myself like a lot of people have and some still do :( they will go thru them loops or run under :laugh: ,but how so wrong the results prove the large loops work and work well ,well done joeb keep up the good work :good:

Thanks Lads :good: , the wires that were struck had been pulled down to smallish loops but there was no sign of anything having struggled in the wire(no fur, tealer in place ect).

I was wondering if maybe using a 4 strand wire instead of a 6 may cure the problem (maybe Peg or Woodga may have some ideas)

I have made up both 4 & 6, and the 4 seem a little bit more.............sharp.......if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for the kind words.

All the best,

JOEB

hi son from what you are say it seems to me as if as the rabbit has been travelling along its run as its feet have hit the beat and it has started to rise for the next leap the chest of the rabbit has hit your snare :no: knocking it flat as it passed over the loop its back foot caught the noose and pulled it closed this happens because your noose is set a shade low lift the setting hight and you will take the rabbit :good: those tealers look good for a first attempt but try and make the shoulder around an inch wide :good: hope your useing marker pins so you dont loose any wires good luck to you no stopping you now :laugh: GOOD HUNTING ALL WOODGA :ph34r:

Your could be too low.Set it up another inch or two and make sure your noose is sitting straight over your run.It could also be that your noose is too far to one side,if so the rabbit will knock it over in the manner you already mentioned.Remember your snare MUST sit square to the run and be vertical to the run :good:

Keep up the good work mate ;)