Old school ferreting.

looks like you both had a good day out.

I've a few years to train -up the son-in law and a grandson so that when I'm 70 I can still be sure of a few days out. Failing that my daughter would probably love to get her own back for all the times she was dragged out as a toddler ferreting ,beating and so on.

Merry Christmas and good holiday hunting :D:thumbs:

Edited by comanche

Brimmer

I so simpathise with you! Taking the old man with you. Its like going back to school. You have to wonder if they relise that you have been out on your own since you left home. It is hard work and some one has to do it lol :laugh: . Got to take mine out on sunday :big_boss: . I just know I will be pulling out my hair before the end of the morning, but I wouldn't have it any other way. If it weren't for his occational encouragement (interferance)I would have made many more mistakes than I have. You know what the scarery thing is brim? We end up doing exactly what ther doing now. Driving our own kids mad :laugh::laugh: .

Cheer Weedy.

Guest mickyrichardson
Right, as a few know, I like to dig!

And as a few know, I like using the big hobs.

And as a few know, I had to shut up and go back to old school ferreting today with nets and a jill that may have just finally convinced me there are still good one's out there!

After pushing the old man beyond all mortal 70 yr old limits on Monday, I had to settle with ferreting on the low ground in the valley bottom today.

The farmer told us he had seen good numbers of rabbits here, just across from his farm, so the old feller seized this opportunity, and made me work the patch.

It's real easy running ground, even a whippet could work it! :bye: And just being across the river from the farm, does not get any unwanted attention! :thumbs:

DSCF0704.jpg

DSCF0694.jpg

I had just on the off chance brought along one of this years jills, she was out a few weeks ago, did ok, but not my sort of ferret if you know what I mean. (it's a jill)

We had the old dog Toddy with us, my old man thought it was his turn to get out. (might have been his plan to be honest).

He is 8 yrs old, and lost that edge that younger dogs have, and misses a few, but still a very usefull dog, and can take him anywhere.

Toddy's marking was pretty good today, and picking up the single holes the rabbits were nearest too!

DSCF0697.jpg

DSCF0701.jpg

By the way can I say that this is piss easy ground, by my standards, any dog can run this, (No Joke).

We had to net up everything, which goes against what I normally do, but there were quite a few in the warrens, so essential as the old chap only catches a few.

Only one old dog, and 3 ferrets, (2 hobs and one young jill) were the hit squad.

It started off crap to be honest, even the bombproof hobs struggled to find the rabbits, and the jill? Why did I bring it?

Then a breakthrough, the hobs entered through a different hole showed bunnies were at home.

Dig Dig Dig, but I do not care if it ends in rabbits on the surface.

And even better the jill is amongst it! ;)

Is this just a coincidence?

We will see at the next set of holes, in goes the jill and the hob, and things start happening, the hob is dug out and the jill is also stuck into a rabbit. ;)

And thats how the day went, even ended up putting the little jill in on her own for the rest of the day, no hob in site.

They either bolted or got the eye treatment. ;)

Thought she might fade away by dinner time but no, onwards and upwards, if you don't move i'll make you move untill 3 oclock. (put the hobs in just to checkl, but she had done the lot.)

Ended the day on a 33 rabbits, probs 50/50 with digging and netting, maybee 6 rabbits caught by the old dog.

I need 2 more jills like this, i have 2 untried, born in August, fingers crossed, they will be in the same league as this one!

DSCF0705.jpg

Goofy little weasel.

And the bag with the 70 yr old stud, and his gypsy dog, on a bit of string most of the day!

DSCF0703.jpg

Thats all from me, merry xmas.

cracking write up once again BRIMMER aka (DIGGER) :clapper::clapper::clapper: