Feeding a running dog???

How do you guys organise you dogs before a lamping session?? i have been told by some people not to feed the dog the day i go i have heard some people wont feed the dogs for a couple of days before.

How shud i be prepairing my lurcher ?? I wouldnt play football on no food for days i would have no energy ect does this applyt to dogs

look forward to ur replys

regards steve

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you guys organise you dogs before a lamping session?? i have been told by some people not to feed the dog the day i go i have heard some people wont feed the dogs for a couple of days before.

How shud i be prepairing my lurcher ?? I wouldnt play football on no food for days i would have no energy ect does this applyt to dogs

look forward to ur replys

regards steve

never feed my dog if i know iam going out lamping, i personally find they run alot better , cannot run on a full stomach,

i feed after every nite out and increase the food to the work load they are doing, when not busy ie summer they are fit but dont get all the meat thye get in winter just fish makrel etc ,some qaulity biscuits pasta rice whatever i can get my hands on tripe ox cheeks trimming s of veni bones etc rib cages , feed pups once in morning tea time and bed time ,sometimes feed dogs twice a day if there a real hard spell and they are still out alot,

i give mine a small meal in the morning and they also get another feed when they come back from lamping

EXACTLY mate !!! What a load of nonsense, not feeding a dog for two days before they work !!! Makes me wonder if these people actualy work dogs ????

Cheers.

theres alot of shite spoken about feeding.....light feed in the morning and plenty of water and selulites over the day............the reason you shouldnt run any dog on a full stomach is that they twist there guts.......................

Mine have a feed once every night. however, if im going out that night then they wont get fed until we get back. A mate of mine once took his dog out 2-3 hours after it being fed and the dog had one run then it yelped and hunched up, he returned home and the next day the dog was dead he went to the vets about it for an answer and he said it was from feeding the dog before going out. Its because of this i never risk it.

i never feed them in morning unless very cold and several days of lamping at nite on game then the feed goes up some electos some horse meat pasta anything that makes them want to take more punishment, no need to run them like that now markets not as lucrative , if i take mines coursing three chases then back to house 10 11 smalll feed plenty liquids and theylll do a bit lamping same nite dogs have to be in there prime to take it hard ,nitghly ,feed the best you can get and treat them like heroes my motto

Not eating before exercise causes cramp and stiches for humans and i have been told it is the same for working dogs.

So if you want the best out of your dog i would feed it a tin of dog food about an hour before it goes out lamping/ferreting.

DOPE !!