.243 Accuracy

Hi

I have a new (good quality European - no names) rifle in .243 calibre, with which I am having difficulty achieving satisfactory groups. I have fired about 200 rounds using a variety of factory ammunition (90 and 100 grain bullets) but cannot consistently achieve sub 2.0" groups. The rifle has a T8 moderator and has been re-crowned in an attempt to improve the accuracy.

The rifle is to be used for deer stalking and the principal quarry species will be fallow deer, although I am also considering Sika and Reds.

I have read a lot about the accuracy of .243 calibre and I am beginning to question whether I should consider changing the rifle for another larger and inherently more accurate calibre. I also have a heavy barrel .308, so I don't want to duplicate that or to get something that is too similar.

In terms of a new rifle, I am considering the Blaser R93 and the Sauer 202, both with synthetic stocks.

I am new to stalking and would appreciate any advice on the questions of accuracy, calibre and suggestions for a replacement.

Many thanks.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, it's been a great help. I have come to the conclusion that a change is needed. Does anyone have an opinion on Sako v Sauer v Blaser. Also, is .243 an adequate calibre for fallow deer and what is the ideal weight of bullet?

Many thanks.

Edited by irvin

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok ive been using a.243 for 25 plus years its agood round and usually very accurate in the right rifle my mannlicher shoots moa groups and ive had it about 15 years is it human error? is the rifle bedding off?are you cleaning rifle regular ?is the scope off?are you zeroing off a bipod or sandbag? let somebody else try your rifle see what groups they get what make of rifle is it?

ok ive been using a.243 for 25 plus years its agood round and usually very accurate in the right rifle my mannlicher shoots moa groups and ive had it about 15 years is it human error? is the rifle bedding off?are you cleaning rifle regular ?is the scope off?are you zeroing off a bipod or sandbag? let somebody else try your rifle see what groups they get what make of rifle is it?

Thanks for responding. The rifle is a Sako 75, which was "run in" carefully and is cleaned reguarly. Barrel float and scope etc have all been checked by a gunsmith. Zeroing is off bipod with sandbag. Clearly human error could be a factor but others have tried with varying results and I obtain much greater accuracy firing my .308. I have also fired with and without moderator with mixed results.

ok youhave a good quality rifle taking into consideration what youve said are you removing and refiting the moderator regulaly ?the reason i ask my mate was doing this and had to re zero the point of aim was different each time try some lighter bullets say 75gn se if there is any more consistansy 3 or 5 shot strings leting the rifle barrel cool before shooting again no wind!

Firstly. I don't have a 243 but prefer and have a 6.5 in R93. However from my reading of the 243 it is quite apparent that because of the calibre's twist rate, bullets over 90 gr weight can cause accuracy loss.

My advice before giving up on it is to try some bullets in the 70 to 78 grn bracket

Riohogs posts make sense

Firstly. I don't have a 243 but prefer and have a 6.5 in R93. However from my reading of the 243 it is quite apparent that because of the calibre's twist rate, bullets over 90 gr weight can cause accuracy loss.

My advice before giving up on it is to try some bullets in the 70 to 78 grn bracket

Riohogs posts make sense

hornady 87gn hollow point shoot really sweet corect .243 wasnt really desighnd for 100gn bullets the .257 roberts handeled 100 gn to 110 grain better not that popular today they like them in the states .257 ackley inproved good round

I'm no expert, but if you've tried a variety of bullets, you should have found a suitable load by now.

I have a Remmy SPS which shoots 100 gn Privi's tighter than that, your Sako is of far better quality.

As someone said before, let someone else try the rifle for you, just to put your mind at rest.

If that doesn't work, have a serious word with the person you bought it from.

I have a Sako 75 .243 and having a bit of the same bother. I have a Sako Quad .17HMR that will group less than an inch at 100yards any day of the week. I bought the Sako 75 on the back of that. I use Sako gameheads 90grain for deer and it can be around 2inch groups at 100 yards - which still gives a good kill zone, but not good enough for me to take longer shots at foxs say 150-200yards. I have just bought some different ammo to try for foxs 55grain. Mine also has a T8 on. I wonder if there any more people out there having trouble? I will watch this with interest - as you say the rifle might have to go if this doesn't get sorted!! Good luck!

Fastrac10

the sako's and tikka's in .243 have a one in ten twist rate some will shoot 100g some won't just depends on the rifle in question, firstly,

take the mod of, and fire a string of five shots,

As if the mod is sus this will ingrease the group size....

try a few groups with the mod off,

Do you use a good copper solvent, as copper build up may be a problem......

are mounts tights rings, etc,

is the barrel free floating....

i shoot 95 grain sst's and 95g nosler partition's to great effect on deer, accuracy about 3/4 inch to slightly less at 100 yards.

the sako 75 is an excellent gun and should shoot way beyond the 2" group mentioned,

let us know how you fair out.....good luck.

ok youhave a good quality rifle taking into consideration what youve said are you removing and refiting the moderator regulaly ?the reason i ask my mate was doing this and had to re zero the point of aim was different each time try some lighter bullets say 75gn se if there is any more consistansy 3 or 5 shot strings leting the rifle barrel cool before shooting again no wind!

The moderator is removed between sessions but remains untouched when at the range. Thanks, I shall follow your suggestion to try lighter bullets. However, I will face the same dilema if it is more accurate with the lighter bullet, as it is intended as a deer rifle.

I have a Sako 75 .243 and having a bit of the same bother. I have a Sako Quad .17HMR that will group less than an inch at 100yards any day of the week. I bought the Sako 75 on the back of that. I use Sako gameheads 90grain for deer and it can be around 2inch groups at 100 yards - which still gives a good kill zone, but not good enough for me to take longer shots at foxs say 150-200yards. I have just bought some different ammo to try for foxs 55grain. Mine also has a T8 on. I wonder if there any more people out there having trouble? I will watch this with interest - as you say the rifle might have to go if this doesn't get sorted!! Good luck!

Fastrac10

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same issues. Ironcally, my best results are with the same ammunition. If I do find a compatible factory round I shall let you know.

The moderator is removed between sessions but remains untouched when at the range. Thanks, I shall follow your suggestion to try lighter bullets. However, I will face the same dilema if it is more accurate with the lighter bullet, as it is intended as a deer rifle.

there is another option you could reload bullets tuning them to suit your rifle its an option youwould be suprised what can be acheaved regarding groupings

the point of impact will change when you take the mod off, but the group should be still tight,

have you checked to see if the barrel is in fact free floating, as a pressure point on the barrel will cause a few problems with poor grouping......

it's a head scratcher this one....

the point of impact will change when you take the mod off, but the group should be still tight,

have you checked to see if the barrel is in fact free floating, as a pressure point on the barrel will cause a few problems with poor grouping......

it's a head scratcher this one....

yep good point check clearence keep your hands and fingers off the barrel when firing ive seen people grasp the forend and thumb touching barrel not good