Would you be willing to help bring back the rabbits?

Guest Countryboyo

Who would rear rabbits for release?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. In the name of your sport

• You would be willing to rear for release
    • You like the Idea but wouldnt do it
    • You think its a ridiculous idea
    • Your afraid of the legality factor

Guest anonymous
Hi lads it seems clear that over all the rabbit populations in general seem to be dropping and non existant in places. I have decided that I am going to try and tackle the problem in my area by breeding rabbits for release and hopefully help the population recovery in my area. I have read numerous accounts of this kind of action being very successful in rabbit recovery. I would like to know if you would support such action and/or even consider taking part in a breeding programme yourselves. Thanks lads I ask only that you approach this topic with an open mind. ;)

Surely you must be taking the piss... :thumbdown:

Not a tall mate... He plans to breed his own then set his wolf cross on to them... Make a fortune so he will............ :notworthy:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest night time my time
This would involve rearing wild rabbits in captivity or domestic/wild hybrid crosses. They are very easy to breed as you probably alreay know, if you know anything at all about rabbits.

If you would be interested in doing your bit i would reccomend looking at the gamekeeping and conservation section of this forum and the place i got the Idea on another forum from another munster fellow. link is below and the topic features pictures of his set up. thanks for the votes and responces. ;)

http://jacksshed.myfreeforum.org/ftopic1995-0.php

I think its a great idea and have moved a few rabbits myself to places where they have been wiped out and if I had the room Id bred and release.Had a look on that other site at the guys plan.I think you should tell this guy not to breed wild with tame rabbits because I think that you could be doing the population of wild rabbits a disservice by weakening them genetically.Breed wild to wild!! If you wanted to repopulate an area with say,wolves you wouldnt bred a wolf with a labrador and let them go!!

Thanks for the reply man. ya I reckon Wild to wild is the Ideal option. However domestics are easier to breed in captivity and will do so in smaller cages. If I was releasing rabbits I would want the offspring to be at least three quarter wild. A few guys have told me that they released domestic females into low populations of wild rabbits and they survived and repopulated the area significantly so i wouldnt rule anything out.

EQUIPMENT and HOUSING WISE

To breed wild rabbits I am told you will need a pen at least 4 foot x six foot x 2 foot high. You will keep this inclosure on your lawn and move it dayly to allow fresh grazing. for shelter you should cover half the roof of the enclosure with a plastic sheet or board. and for the nest a small plastic barrel (like the ones used for motor oil any farmer will have loads) filled with straw and a small opening for the bunny to get in. A simple set up fairley cheep, minimal work involved in this project. Hopefully excellent results. Rabbits pregnancy lasts only 30 days so you could breed at least three litters a year off each doe rabbit.

RELEASING

Release all the does pregnant this will cause them to burrow naturally and make a safe escape and home below ground. Also release where there are already burrows. If not put down pipes to offer tempory escapes. Also release a lot at one time rather than a few at intervals. The more there are there will be safety in numbers and they will alert each other if mr fox is around, also it is only natural that a few will be taken.

Best of luck to anyone that will give it a shot.

then watch them all die of mixy?? nice idea go for it and best of luck,theres always hunts putting foxes down,has been for years,
Guest Countryboyo

Thanks for all the support guys. forgot to say I was talking to a friend today who is a vet and he is very interested in the project and offered to vaccinate all the rabbits i release against myxi for free. I plan to release at least twenty rabbits twice a year until a healthy population builds up. all these will be vaccinated. obviously their offspring wont be but you cant have it all. cant wait to get under way. Thanks again lads

I think it,s the old fox that,s going to have to be bred soon,there is no season on them and i could tell you tales all afternoon about them being persecuted to extinction in this country.Calling and shooting is the big problem,which i don,t mind if you rear gamebirds or the like ,but driving around and shooting them from roadsides is not hunting in my book.

totaly agree ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Countryboyo
Whats the point the rabbit numbers will go back up in spring this happens every year

Maybe in your area, but it no longer happens in my area unfortunately and that is the reason for the project

Load of bollocks mate. You are not god, as you claim in the other threads that you will controll them. But when it comes to summer the rabbits will become out of hand, and spread to farms that dont want to give you a bit of sport, and want to feed thier family and children on the earnings. Not let some fluffy creatures there are enough of already ruin the land. So dont do it mate and it is also very illigal

Countryboyo's next 'project'.

Introducing rats so that he can enjoy a bit of ratting.

This is Care in the Community stuff. :laugh:

agreed. Hes one hell of a tree hugger is our countryboyo.... I do not understand how the mods let this thread stay, which is discussing ILLEGAL ACTIVITY :haha: but delete the thread about JBS being deleted :hmm:

Edited by will.f11
Whats the point the rabbit numbers will go back up in spring this happens every year

Maybe in your area, but it no longer happens in my area unfortunately and that is the reason for the project

you really are a wanker arent you mate... :feck:

whats with all the slagging people off and swearing at them your a proper little gob shite nothing wrong with debate but no need to keep ripping the back out of someone whether you agree with them or not. and countryboyo well done feller keep at it mate good to see your willing to do something for your sport ;)

you really are a wanker arent you mate... :feck:

Interesting debating technique there, Will.

Be interested to know what Countryboyo's alleged personal habits have to do with his proposal to breed a vermin species.

Personally, I think it's a bonkers idea. You have permission to clear vermin not preserve them. If you don't do that, why have the permission? Unless of course, you're amateurish enough to think you've got it for pleasure not work.

I'd tell you to grow up, but you will do in a few years, hopefully Will.... :laugh:

Countryboyo's next 'project'.

Introducing rats so that he can enjoy a bit of ratting.

This is Care in the Community stuff. :laugh:

agreed. Hes one hell of a tree hugger is our countryboyo.... I do not understand how the mods let this thread stay, which is discussing ILLEGAL ACTIVITY :haha: but delete the thread about JBS being deleted :hmm:

show me will, where it states that releasing healthy rabbits is illegal

and what have I told you before about abushive posts, you'll earn yourself a warning lad