Feeding rabbits to my dog...

I used to feed my dog rabbits but then he started getting worms, so instead of worming him 1 every 3 months it ws geting quite frequent so i thought there must be a way of killing the worms before feeding the rabbits to my dog... All advice or help will be very usefull...

freeze them for a couple of weeks ...

Guest jbswildlife
I used to feed my dog rabbits but then he started getting worms, so instead of worming him 1 every 3 months it ws geting quite frequent so i thought there must be a way of killing the worms before feeding the rabbits to my dog... All advice or help will be very usefull...

after skinning the rabbit freeze it for a couple of days. defrost and get a worm free rabbit for your dog

Guest jbswildlife
i'm sure it takes longer than 3 wk's to kill worm cysts and eggs? could be wrong but im sure someone who knew there stuff on here once said that.... :hmm:

i freeze for two days never had a problem.

i'm sure it takes longer than 3 wk's to kill worm cysts and eggs? could be wrong but im sure someone who knew there stuff on here once said that.... :hmm:

Could be right. :unsure: Its what I do but I would take advice if someone knew better.

Dave

Edited by tdavepat

i freeze for two days never had a problem.

i feed raw and worm every 3 month and i've never had a prob. doesn't mean my dogs don't get worms though! as i said,im not saying it isn't enough,just that im sure someone more knowledgable about this than me said it wasn't enough.

umm id say tyhat frezzing a rabbit aslong as it is 100% frfozen when you are going to de-frost it;. it should be alright. as my dog eats them like that i wormn him every 1 1/2 mounths and he never has them, but same thing with ferrets. ill give them the frozen ones and thay dont have worms...

umm id say tyhat frezzing a rabbit aslong as it is 100% frfozen when you are going to de-frost it;. it should be alright. as my dog eats them like that i wormn him every 1 1/2 mounths and he never has them, but same thing with ferrets. ill give them the frozen ones and thay dont have worms...

ferrets don't get worms anyway full stop.(something to do with the digestive tract being too short) :thumbs: why do you worm your dog every 6 wk if you feel that freezing rabbit does kill worms?

I asked my vet about frozen rabbits, he said worm will still be there , it will Dormant in the muscle tissue even when frozen for what ever time. :o He said you would be better of boiling the meat, boil up to 2 hours, and feed on or of the bone. I do this and never get worms, the boiled bones wont hurt but i feed of the bone. ;) I know alot feed raw, but thats what he told me.??