hi lads can anyone help ? i got a patterdale terrier pup not long since it wo 15 week old it seemed ok normal little terrier it pissed in the house so i gave it a crack on its nose and put it out . trying to house train it abit but since then its become very timmid it wee s when you pick it up or if you have to go get it and seems scaired ... does any one no if it will grow out of it or should i get rid and get another it is half nuttall and half weeler can anyone help ... cheers lads and keep digging
got a patt just the same when he was young,still shy know that is untill you show him a earth/fox then he goes off his tits! just try and bond with the little fellow. some people think that terrier should always be snapping all the time its not always the case even the quiet ones make good workers

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't slap a pup that young in the hooter, and I bet you cracking it is exactly why it shits itself every time you go near it.

When I house train my dogs I just grabbed a hold of them by the scruff when they pissed in the house, show them the mess they made and let a few roars out and sling the dog outside, they soon know they're doing wrong. Every time I let a pup outside and they take a piss or have a shit where they were meant too, I give them a fuss and tell them good boy and all that business.

It doesn't take long before they get the gist of where they are meant to be dropping the kids off and that. It is a simple thing to do, if you do it right.

I will also say that I'm not against serving dogs a little bit of corporal punishment if they play up, but a pup that young doesn't need knocking about for messing in the house, IMO.

can anyone read i cracked it not punched it or knocked its head off it was a little crack

no cracks on pups, go out more often with him or keep it in a kennel.

their are smart and inteligent and if well bred by their mothers they will be nice, happy and clean pups.

you must show the pup the rotine, the same old schedule for making the piss and the shit at proper time. rubbing pups nose in the piss is no use mate.

best regards

cheers mate

f**k mate, you dont crack a pup! he/she doesnt know its doing wrong... your ment to have patience with pups mate.

i recently got a cracken little lakiexrussell pup, hes coming upto 14wks old now, used to piss and shit where ever he pleased! but all i did was keep calm and pick him up by the scruff take him over to where he did it and show him and say NO then take him to where i had the paper on the floor and put him on it..

he is a little headbanger doesnt know the meaning of fear and does everthing full throttle, still has his moments pissing here and there at the odd times, but id rather him be upfront and game and pissing in the house than pissing and shitting himself everytime i went near him.. sounds like youve only made things worse by cracken him one in the nose mate.. when i first started toilet training mine it was a pain, back and forward every 5 minutes to the kichen for the mop/forwards and backs like 30-40 times it felt like in a day, but youve just got to stick to your guns and have patience.. you shouldnt even have bought a pup if you didnt expect it to piss and shit everywhere, its not the pups fault its yours for not putting the effort in. best of luck with the pat.hope you get him sorted

cheers mate many thanks

The trick is to make the pup realise that the whole of your house is its den: normal dogs don't piss in their dens: they go outside. Now at this time of year: cold, wet and dark early it is a damn sight harder to house train pups than in the summer.

Basically a pup needs to pee very often: when it wakes up, after a meal, after a drink and right when you don't expect it to: like when its in the middle of playing. They can't hold it very long at this age so don't get angry with it, don't rub its nose in it and definitely don't crack it.

It's down to you to make sure the pup goes outside, and that means taking it out: as soon as it wakes up, after eating, after drinking, and every 15 to 20 minutes when its just messing about!

Once a pup starts peeing inside it doesn't realise that that is the wrong place to go, no matter how much you shout at it: it just learns to associate peeing with you getting angry! Then its more likely to sneak away somewhere and pee where you can't see it doing it.

Get a cage: use it as the pup's bed and feed it in it too.Don't leave it in there all the time! Just overnight, when you have to take your eye off it for a while and if you go out. Make sure the cage is big enough to have a bed at one end and a decent sized area covered in newspaper at the other in case it gets caught short, which it undoubtedly will! LOL Don't ever tell it off for doing anything in the cage: just clean it out completely as soon as you notice.

Use one of the antibacterial sprays to clean the cage at least twice a day and especially after it has peed or messed in there. Use the spray to clean up if it has an accident anywhere else in the house.

DON'T allow the pup access to the whole of the house until it is housetrained: keep it in the kitchen or whatever that has a washable floor: pee smell never comes out of carpets and pups always want to pee where they've already done it: the habit is very strong.

Don't expect a pup to be fully housetrained until it has finished teething at about 6 months, and expect a short lapse again when the roots of its teeth are finishing their growth at about 10 months ish.

Stay with the pup when you put it outside to pee etc, praise it lots and bring it in again. Some pups will learn to go to the back door and pee, so in the dark months put some newspaper there and don't tell the pup off if it goes there just because you haven't read the signs that it needs to go or nobody realised it needed a pee.

Good luck

The trick is to make the pup realise that the whole of your house is its den: normal dogs don't piss in their dens: they go outside. Now at this time of year: cold, wet and dark early it is a damn sight harder to house train pups than in the summer.

Basically a pup needs to pee very often: when it wakes up, after a meal, after a drink and right when you don't expect it to: like when its in the middle of playing. They can't hold it very long at this age so don't get angry with it, don't rub its nose in it and definitely don't crack it.

It's down to you to make sure the pup goes outside, and that means taking it out: as soon as it wakes up, after eating, after drinking, and every 15 to 20 minutes when its just messing about!

Once a pup starts peeing inside it doesn't realise that that is the wrong place to go, no matter how much you shout at it: it just learns to associate peeing with you getting angry! Then its more likely to sneak away somewhere and pee where you can't see it doing it.

Get a cage: use it as the pup's bed and feed it in it too.Don't leave it in there all the time! Just overnight, when you have to take your eye off it for a while and if you go out. Make sure the cage is big enough to have a bed at one end and a decent sized area covered in newspaper at the other in case it gets caught short, which it undoubtedly will! LOL Don't ever tell it off for doing anything in the cage: just clean it out completely as soon as you notice.

Use one of the antibacterial sprays to clean the cage at least twice a day and especially after it has peed or messed in there. Use the spray to clean up if it has an accident anywhere else in the house.

DON'T allow the pup access to the whole of the house until it is housetrained: keep it in the kitchen or whatever that has a washable floor: pee smell never comes out of carpets and pups always want to pee where they've already done it: the habit is very strong.

Don't expect a pup to be fully housetrained until it has finished teething at about 6 months, and expect a short lapse again when the roots of its teeth are finishing their growth at about 10 months ish.

Stay with the pup when you put it outside to pee etc, praise it lots and bring it in again. Some pups will learn to go to the back door and pee, so in the dark months put some newspaper there and don't tell the pup off if it goes there just because you haven't read the signs that it needs to go or nobody realised it needed a pee.

Good luck

cheers mate many thanks ...gud to see you and some of the other lads on here no [bANNED TEXT] there talking about cheers

Hello Sir,

One of the methods which worked for me was, at bed time I would sleep on the floor with a sleeping bag with the pup on top and every time they moved off, I would place them outside and it was hard work, it payed off in the end as they learned very quickly.

During the day I would monitor them or place news papers down near their basket by our back door.

Then moving the papers closer to the back door, eventually taking the papers away.

The only thing I found with the latter was, a few of the pups became very very protective around me as they started to bark and growl and showed aggression at such young age when other members of the family came down :boxing: "LOL"

I wouldn't slap a pup that young in the hooter, and I bet you cracking it is exactly why it shits itself every time you go near it.

When I house train my dogs I just grabbed a hold of them by the scruff when they pissed in the house, show them the mess they made and let a few roars out and sling the dog outside, they soon know they're doing wrong. Every time I let a pup outside and they take a piss or have a shit where they were meant too, I give them a fuss and tell them good boy and all that business.

It doesn't take long before they get the gist of where they are meant to be dropping the kids off and that. It is a simple thing to do, if you do it right.

I will also say that I'm not against serving dogs a little bit of corporal punishment if they play up, but a pup that young doesn't need knocking about for messing in the house, IMO.

can anyone read i cracked it not punched it or knocked its head off it was a little crack

Well what ever, cracked, whacked, facked it doesn't matter. I just thought I'd give you a bit of advice because you don't know how to house train a dog properly.

Take it or leave it its up to you.

jesus christ why are some people so quick to dish out the abuse,the man asked a question about house training a pup,and he mentions that he gave it a crack,which i know is wrong,but that may of been advice already given to him,thats why hes on here asking,you dont know til you ask,so give the lad a break,he wants advice not grief trouble making knobheads if youve nowt constructive to say then say feck all :realmad:

Edited by craigyboy