Fox Trap Farce

Hello Chaps,

I wondered what the board's opinion would be after a farcical meeting I had today with the Trading standards woman who visited me today. I've kept poultry for over 25 years and as usual, the fox is a bloody nuisance. So over the years I've accumulated and had success with snares and invested in a couple of Fox cage traps. I've not caught a thing but leave the trap set and baited with anything that's died, or rabbit waste etc. So the trading stadards Lady comes round to say I'm not allowed to leave deadstock out for the fox as it's against the disposal of animal byproducts legislation contained in the animal welfare act 2006. So effectively, if I've got a trap it's illegal for me to bait it with anything I've reared? She said its illegal as it is not proper disposal of the byproduct and that is that. When I asked what I could bait the trap with she said that wasn't her area and she didn't know! So what do you do, and as I was told she had power of entry to my property she could inspect with or without my consent. Has this country turned into a Nazi state? Is it just me or is this 1984 in practice? I hope you may find this interesting and welcome any comments. If I'm the one being unreasonable, do let me know.

Wild animals are exempt from the Animal (by products) regulations.

I would suggest to her that she double checks the legislation that she is wrongly quoting.

You could still cause a nuisance by allowing dead animals to rot away, but if you explain things properly, you should be ok.

I would suggest to her that she double checks the legislation that she is wrongly quoting.

You could still cause a nuisance by allowing dead animals to rot away, but if you explain things properly, you should be ok.

Thanks for that, but it still means I'm not allowed to bait a fox trap with a chicken I have reared then? What do other people bait such traps with? She's alsonot happy about me feeding deadstock to my ferrets! Is it me? It just doesn't make sense. Grateful for your response, many thanks.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Why not use rabbit as bait? It would get them off your case.

Interestingly, 'pets' can still be buried at home, so are also exempt from the regs. I'm not sure if you could get away with calling backyard chickens pets though........

Sorry, I misunderstood. Why not use rabbit as bait? It would get them off your case.

Interestingly, 'pets' can still be buried at home, so are also exempt from the regs. I'm not sure if you could get away with calling backyard chickens pets though........

No thanks for your reply, it would seem I can only use 'wild bait' and poultry are not to be classed as pets, being traditionally a 'farmed animal'.

I think it pretty bloody lame and stupid. So I can buy a packaged ferret food , processed from poultry but not any deadstock which must be incinerated at an approved centre.

Bloody madness.

Hi there, thanks for your answer, unfortunately, feathers are definitely as an animal by product so I'm not allowed to leave them out, and I'm not allowed to burn or bury any deadstock. They must go to a registered incinerator, and of course there is a charge.

There's no two ways about it I have to comply with the regulations, and tried to be reasonable and polite but the bullshit just sent me over the edge which made her defiant and led to her 'confiscating' a rabbit and two chickens I knew were ill but wanted to give them a chance with warmth and care but no, she knew better and traipsed them to their vet which I will have to pay for even though there's no treatment other than time and care.

I just feel it so vindictive and pointless when they freely admit they know nothing about poultry?

Thanks again.

Maybe you should dispose of the carcasses as she suggests first removing some of the feathers, they make a decent attractor. Show her the site where you burn or bury the chickens and that should be that. You are better off baiting with rabbit or pigeon and sticking within the regs, you don't want to be shut down over the opinion of a jobsworth.

Having said that, YES it is stupidity for you not to use dead stock as bait, personally I see no difference in buying a chicken for the table and using the carcass as bait as opposed to using 'fallen' stock, but the law is the law.

Good luck with trying to catch your fox, one of these days you may succeed...then of course you have to rid yourself of IT'S carcass following regulations...

All the best

H

Guest jbswildlife

Thanks for that, but it still means I'm not allowed to bait a fox trap with a chicken I have reared then? What do other people bait such traps with? She's alsonot happy about me feeding deadstock to my ferrets! Is it me? It just doesn't make sense. Grateful for your response, many thanks.

if thats the case then the falconery world are breaking the law. sounds like a jealous jobs worth. feed her to the fox

:realmad: :realmad: This makes me so F"""""ing mad,We farm over 2,500 sheep and We are not allowed to bury any dead stock or leave it for the crows foxes or Huge badger population oh and the red kites.I to feed my ferrets on any dead lambs,We are forced to have these stinking plastic burial boxes were we must collect any carcases and put them in these only to be collected when they are full :sick: Cost last year £1895

I am doing a fox trapping Job on a chicken farm where he has over 18,000 chickens fox got into the run the other day and nailed 14 I shot two that night but decided to put a trap down as a precaution baited with guess what ? well they aint going to lay anymore eggs what a waste to just send them away for burning.

I believe she is right in what she is saying however I will wait until Iam told I aint wasting any good rabbit on F""""ing charlie :nono:

All these animals that go for incineration they take ages to burn and energy I thought we were looking for ways to cut down on energy use and pollution ,imagine living next to one of those incinerators. :bad: