STEREOTYPES breeding the perfect lurcher.

Guest greengrass123

Guest greengrass123

Right then breeding the perfect lurcher should be a doddle. Take a greyhound or whippet or deerhound as your base, add intelligence, try collie. Stamina got to be a saluki. Gameness beddy or bull or a variation of terriers. So if its so easy why havent we all got the perfect all rounder. Now if you read most of the lurcher books written by so called experts, you will find the reason. This is whats usually said. Greyhounds are thick, whippets all have bad feet, not hard enough for winter weather, shivery little things, deerhounds are too big to pick up rabbits. Now a collie is the MENSA candidate of the canine world, but downside is ,there a one man dog for a one dog man, and on there own are notorious stock worriers. Salukis as we all know are untrainable. Lastly beddys all open up, all bulls are agressive, and most of the other terriers dont come from working stock, so forget that one. WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS. Only a small grain of truth there ,what do you reckon. <_<

I think it's one of those questions you will never get an answer too mate. Everyone has their own idea of what the perfect dog is....very few attain it though. Maybe a combination of all the types you mentioned would satisfy them but I seriously doubt it lol. :D

All those things you mentioned are important, but IMO just as important is field sense, prey sense and the right instinct to deal correctly with a variety of quarry. Those attributes are, or should be, inherited from ancestors, if correctly bred from dogs that have excelled in the field as all round hunters. Let's face it: wolf cubs inherit a lot more than big ears and a thick coat from their ancestors!

IMO, there is no substitute for breeding from a line of proven workers, regardless of the breeding. It depends what you want to breed for: fast take off( being just one thing needed in this instance): for lamping dogs, stamina (among many other things) for coursing dogs, grit and hard drive for vermin dogs. The list goes on. I've got lurcher to lurcher bred dogs where I have only a little idea of what pure breeds went into the line in the first place, but they all go out and mark, hunt, catch and retrieve. This instinct shows itself at 4 months in the field: marking rabbits in cover: they just go out and do it with no prompting from me.

Not saying that fraction dogs don't do it either, but when you have a 4 month old pup crawling on its belly into a bramble bush trying to locate where the scent is coming from: well, I guess the breeding says it all!

Ive had lurchers 25 years+ , and in that time i must have seen most x's work. We all know what x

is best for Certain quarry, but to me a Well Bred colliex grey is a real good lurcher. Ive had and seen collie xs catch all game in the UK, on a Regular Basis. ;) They really are [ jack of all trade's and a master of none . ;);) ] I love lurchers :icon_redface: , and every x can do a job, but if there is such a thing as a alrounder , a well bred collix grey must come close. ;);)

Ive had lurchers 25 years+ , and in that time i must have seen most x's work. We all know what x

is best for Certain quarry, but to me a Well Bred colliex grey is a real good lurcher. Ive had and seen collie xs catch all game in the UK, on a Regular Basis. ;) They really are [ jack of all trade's and a master of none . ;);) ] I love lurchers :icon_redface: , and every x can do a job, but if there is such a thing as a alrounder , a well bred collix grey must come close. ;);)

u sed that a well bred colli x must come close but thats cos u have a colli cross.i am not saying that they will not come close but there is to meny people on this web site who think that they have the best cross.just cos they have one but eny well bred dog will do what u ask of it.u could get a shit greyhound to a shit bull and they still could be good dog with a bit of time spent with them.

WHATS THE PIONT OF BREEDING FROM SHIT MATE HONESTLY IVE BRED SALUKS AND A VRY VRY GOOD LINE OF COLLI CROSSES , WHY THERE THE BEST ALL ROUND DOGS IVE SAW FOR ME ,AND HAVE REPRODUCED DOWN THE LINE THATS WHY YOU BREED OF TRUSTED STOCK EITHER COURSING CHAMPS FEILDTRAIL DOGS , GOOD CATCH DOGS ONLY WAY , IF YOU BRED MEDIOCRE TO MEDIOCRE ALL THE TIME U END UP WITH SHIT ,EVEN THO IVE BRED PUPS, EVEN IN LITTS YOU CAN SEE WHAT DOESNT SUIT YOU, THEY MAYBE NOT SHIT BUT TO FINE TO HEAVEY ,AND SOME PEOPLES GOOD AINT EVERY BODIES MATE , BIT OF A STUPID QUESTION

would no bred a shit dog for a start i was just saying u could get good dogs.just saying u do not no what is the best dogs r best cross.for some people it would be a colli cross then u would get some saying bulls r a saluki cross ever 1 likes diffreant dog thats y there is so meny lurchers about.and ur the same u say a colli cross cos u have 1.

I have a X that suits my needs and the dogs needs. That's all that matters to me.

I wouldn't have a certain cross because i like the look of it, or because a friend has one and does well.

Every ground is different, and everyone chooses to run different quarry.

Why buy a 4.0ltr car when you only going to drive around the town................. ;)

What to look good? lolololol

;)