Casual Hunting

Guest Countryboyo

Guest Countryboyo

Hi lads im new to this forum and I am a farely inexperienced hunter :icon_redface: . I have gone ferreting a handfull of times with a mate and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have also gone lamping and coursing with one of the local greyhound men. I have a jackrussel and i take him out once a week he enjoys hunting rabbits and will give chase all day however he is too slow to catch obviously and he is also getting old. I would like to get a dog to do a bit of casual hunting at the weekend, a dog that would have the speed to pick off a few rabbits and it wouldnt be too high maintenance. a handy type dog nothing overly big. Im thinking a whippet myself but as I said i am inexperienced and you guys would know a lot better than me what dog would be suitable?

I always wanted to get a full whippet but someone told me they are injury prone is this true? I would probably only be going out once a week

had a full whippt for 14 years just retierd her this season and was never hurt bad through out her working life

colliexgrey , easy to train,catch rabbits easy, good coat+feet, a good nose, handle any weather and any ground, so a tough old dog. Size = 22-24ins 40- 55lb, just right for any game, a nice size lurcher not to big . ;)

Guest Taffybull
colliexgrey , easy to train,catch rabbits easy, good coat+feet, a good nose, handle any weather and any ground, so a tough old dog. Size = 22-24ins 40- 55lb, just right for any game, a nice size lurcher not to big . ;)

id say the same thing :thumbs: nice collie grey would do you wonders.

My first lurcher was a beddy x,she is hard as owt when it comes to knocks,she has had a lot of injuries in her time,dog bites,ripped skin off fences,ran into fences,fence posts. She has took all this in her stride and still wants to get out there and do her stuff. That would be my choice as a first dog,and in fact i would have another if i wanted another lurcher.

post-26717-1228149584_thumb.jpg

Guest Countryboyo

id say the same thing :thumbs: nice collie grey would do you wonders.

id love a whippet. would they be able to handle the odd fox?

Will the dog be living in with your family? Do you have the daily time to put into training and exercising one?

If so, you can't really go wrong with a whippet or whippet cross. I've got a bitsa lurcher - grey/beddy/beardie/saluki mix. Excellent with the kids, in the house, easy to train, fab temperment. But I'd LOVE a whippet or whippet cross (in case Snoop is reading this :laugh:).

Guest Countryboyo
Will the dog be living in with your family? Do you have the daily time to put into training and exercising one?

If so, you can't really go wrong with a whippet or whippet cross. I've got a bitsa lurcher - grey/beddy/beardie/saluki mix. Excellent with the kids, in the house, easy to train, fab temperment. But I'd LOVE a whippet or whippet cross (in case Snoop is reading this :laugh:).

I have a pen out in my back garden to keep the dog. I do have the time to walk it and exercize it during the week.

but id like to know would a whippet be able to take a fox if i came across one? Its mostly just for rabbits i would want the dog though

my first lurcher was a beddy whippet greyhound and she was a great bitch but always wanted to hunt and got restless in kennels which is great if your hunting allday everyday the dog ive got know is much more layed back and is happy with a steady walk every day and steps it up when were out mooching hes a collie whippet greyhound my mates got a whippet greyhound which is a cracking first time dog its teaching him how to train it very easy going! the thing is you get out of a dog what you put into it yes a well bred lurcher will always want to hunt but i dont think youll ever get its full potential with casual hunting! ;)