Should have stayed in bed!

Set off from home this morning at 7am, thick freezing fog most of the way there, read -5 on the truck's thermometer! Glad there was no wind to go with it! As we got closer to our land, the fog cleared leaving a bright and sunny, but cold and frosty morning!

Called in to ok things with the farmer, and made our way up there for around 8.30am

We were going on an area today we have not been on this year, it usually holds good numbers of bunnies, so we set off with high expectations!

DSCF0384.jpg

Within minutes, we had our first mark, which resulted in me getting the blade going as usual, resulting in one bunny.

It all went downhill from there!

We walked quite a way, and tried lots of different areas which usually hold them, but no, it's barren!

DSCF0388.jpg

Come 12 oclock, things were grim, only five in the bag. Not good.

After dinner, I told the old feller there was only one thing for it, i'd have to hit the ghyll side.

This always holds rabbits, but is a killer for any dog with no experience, and for anyone not up to what i call 'Hard Ground'.

On this note, i left the old feller at the top, and took the older dog with me.

DSCF0396.jpg

DSCF0403.jpg

To cut a long story short, looks like the old dog should have stayed at home today, he moved over warrens without working them, then when dragged back to them wouldn't mark. Should have taken the terrier, would have got more sense. (think the heavy going got to the older dog to be honest, the sun was quite hot despite the early frost, plus the hills a killer).

When by chance i put the ferrets in a half marked spot, one bolted and did one, then i ended up with a near 4 ft dig for my troubles! One of those days!

After this the old dog settled in, and started marking on another warren. I'd set the longnet up just in case there were a few in, but no, only one more for my trouble's which the ferret stopped up!

DSCF0420-1.jpg

DSCF0421.jpg

I went back to the truck at around 1.30pm, had enough to be honest!

only just made double figure's in the end! :cry:

Then the old feller showed me how to do it the abbo way! :DDSCF0426.jpg

Took him a while to get his eye in, but he did well for a 70 yr old! Lol :D

Right tommorow i'll pull me finger out, things have to get better!

Nice pics B ;) to get the rabbits moving you want a couple of jills :D All that digging will give you a bad back :yes: which in turn will affect your pendulm casting :laugh::laugh: I'm out tomorrow don't know if i'll be able to get the pegs into the ground tho..... :hmm:

Bugger the jills mate, i'll freeze to death waiting for them to get things moving! :D Think i've peaked with the casting anyway Andy, 283 yards will take some beating! :o

I love your cold and frosty pictures! Seriously, Ive been out from 8am til 2pm and had none in the past! And I knew there were rabbits there! Yes its disheartening, but hey at least you were out, thats the way I look at it when I get a small bag but double figures is a great bag in my books! Well done! :clapper: