'Bunny hugging' Government scraps rabbit control measures

The problem with this government is they take the responsibiltiy of things away from the people who need it. What im trying to say is the farmers need to be responsible for their land as its them who are responsible for the production of things from it. Same as they need to be responsible for the care of their stock as they see fit as its them who are held responsible for their welfare. Same as parents need to be responsible for their children because its them who are held responsible for them when it goes wrong. Same as employers need to be responsible for the 'type' of person they employ as its them who are responsible for their own business. To many rules and regs take that responsibility away from them yet they are still accountable and suffer when things go wrong.

'Bunny hugging' Government scraps rabbit control measures - click HERE for full story..

How exactly have they scrapped the policy? Have they suddenly decided not to enforce the statute?

I can't find anything 'official' at the time of this post.

Presumably that means they will not enforce the 1954 Pests Act although presumably it is still on the statute book?

At least it will prevent us arguing about the legalities of releasing rabbits now. ;)

There is no argument as there is nothing to say you can't! :D

Farmers are now expecting an explosion in numbers of the pest at a time when food security is more important than ever and small farmers are struggling to survive in the economic downturn.

Is an explosion in numbers realistic? They're on a steady increase, as they always have been, but this isn't like the rat numbers we're experiencing. I certainly don't dispute the amount of damage caused but I couldn't see a population explosion on the scale similar to a hypothetical ban on rodent enforcements.

Unless the act is repealed I don't see how they can't have a legal obligation to investigate/enforce a complaint.

I've been trying but can't find anything official. I'm sure Unnatural England would like to promote a policy of non-enforcement on their part as it would be "one less job" for them and the onus would be on the agrieved landowner to sue his neighbour in a Civil Action at his own expense. Not sure the article is totally believable. I 'm given to understand that there is no single maximum fine of £5oo involved for non-complience as stated in the article .I believe that a single fine is applicable for non complience with an Order and this is then followed by further fines (I guess a level 1 fine ) for every day that the Order is not complied with .

As for an increase in rabbit levels being forecast . Common sense indicates that this is not scare-mongering. Rabbits in my area are on the increase big time .

Rabbits may have been introduced 900 or so years ago but the history of the modern rabbit started only 54 years ago . In only half a century of evolution the survivors of myxomatosis have developed immunities to the disease,adapted to our enviroment and toughened up genetically far beyond the capabilities of the original Norman introductions. They are still evolving and expanding their population and have yet to find their natural niche in our countryside and probably never will.

Edited by comanche