Out for the afternoon

Popped out this afternoon after a doe for the table. I've itching to get out for ages but work (and wedding plans :kiss: ) seem to have been taking up all my time. My permission has beef cattle on it but they were moved up to higher ground so i decided to have a look on the lower ground where i wouldn't be followed and pestered by excitable, lowing bullocks.

I went up on the higher-ground to have a scan down below but couldn't see anything; the wind was bitter so i went to the lower ground hoping to catch something browsing in the lee of the hedges. The cows had properly churned up the ground under the hedgeline trees where they were sheltering from rain and any gateway was a squelching quagmire making it difficult to walk quietly. I spotted a doe who seemed to be having some difficulty browsing, her foreleg was very obviously giving her some grief. I was prone, watching her for a half hour as she ambled down the hedgerow away from me and she still wouldn't present broadside. She got to 160yrds and i decided to take the next opportunity which ended up being a quatering neck shot. I was zeroed at 150 and felt confidant so i took it. Thump, straight down.

post-4425-1227559828_thumb.jpg

Finally got to use my chest spreader for cooling her down faster. You can see how her left fore-leg is knackered so she was a good one to take as, despite her being in quite plump condition, she may have struggled later on in the winter.

post-4425-1227560005_thumb.jpg

I decided to stay around hoping to catch out a fox but they wisely chose to avoid the area. Spotted some more roe on the neighbouring farm that i don't have permission on... had a nice sunset to end a nice day though.

post-4425-1227560159.jpg

Had a chat to the farmer on the way back to let him know i'll be dropping some venison in at the weekend and mentioned the Roe next door... a good mate of his owns it :whistling::whistling: Christmas might come early :thumbs:

Edited by Local

Popped out this afternoon after a doe for the table. I've itching to get out for ages but work (and wedding plans :kiss: ) seem to have been taking up all my time. My permission has beef cattle on it but they were moved up to higher ground so i decided to have a look on the lower ground where i wouldn't be followed and pestered by excitable, lowing bullocks.

I went up on the higher-ground to have a scan down below but couldn't see anything; the wind was bitter so i went to the lower ground hoping to catch something browsing in the lee of the hedges. The cows had properly churned up the ground under the hedgeline trees where they were sheltering from rain and any gateway was a squelching quagmire making it difficult to walk quietly. I spotted a doe who seemed to be having some difficulty browsing, her foreleg was very obviously giving her some grief. I was prone, watching her for a half hour as she ambled down the hedgerow away from me and she still wouldn't present broadside. She got to 160yrds and i decided to take the next opportunity which ended up being a quatering neck shot. I was zeroed at 150 and felt confidant so i took it. Thump, straight down.

post-4425-1227559828_thumb.jpg

Finally got to use my chest spreader for cooling her down faster. You can see how her right fore-leg is knackered so she was a good one to take as, despite her being in quite plump condition, she may have struggled later on in the winter.

post-4425-1227560005_thumb.jpg

I decided to stay around hoping to catch out a fox but they wisely chose to avoid the area. Spotted some more roe on the neighbouring farm that i don't have permission on... had a nice sunset to end a nice day though.

post-4425-1227560159.jpg

Had a chat to the farmer on the way back to let him know i'll be dropping some venison in at the weekend and mentioned the Roe next door... a good mate of his owns it :whistling::whistling: Christmas might come early :thumbs:

Well do Local it looks like your shooting days are numbered once you get that ring on your finger :tongue2:
Well do Local it looks like your shooting days are numbered once you get that ring on your finger

:icon_eek: Don't joke mate :laugh:

Nice one, always good to get another bi of permission.......

Thanks bud, permission is quite hard to come by around here with people queuing up for stalking... fingers crossed

Nice one Local,Glad you're getting out after them mate,hopefully I will be able to myself soon....fingers crossed..........martin

Cheers Martin, hope you're keeping well and get out soon. Bleedin' siberian wind out there at the moment :yes:

Edited by Local

good doe to take out there local, a good shot at 160yds mate i cant hit the neck to save myself, head shoot the buggers all day long,its nice to get some for the freezer before christmas, all the best mate, remmy. :clapper::clapper:

good doe to take out there local, a good shot at 160yds mate i cant hit the neck to save myself, head shoot the buggers all day long,its nice to get some for the freezer before christmas, all the best mate, remmy. :clapper::clapper:

:yes: She showed no sign of wasting dispite her injury, actually quite plump so pretty good timing really. I wouldn't usually go for the neck but she was working along the hedge away from me... was either that or the 'texas heart shot'. I've also got a load of mates with their hands out so i can't see much getting as far as the freezer :laugh:

Good write up there mate and yes she was a cull beast .Had a chap go into great detail about what he considered to be a cull doe recently but the strange thing was that when i took him out he shot a knobber buck off the sticks at 40 yards .If i wasnt so amused i would have bollocked the twat .