Minimum Power Question

Phantom

I have a 6ft/lbs rifle and an 8ft/lbs.

I wish to hunt, But I am unsure if either of these rifles would make a clean kill if I were to hit a rabbit out at 30 yards?

And before anyone says it "I know its all about placement of the lead"

Phantom

At thirty yards it's best to be as close to 12ft/lb as posible. I recon no less than 10ft/lb at twenty yards.

The power you mention for your guns is really quite low, 6ft/lb is air pistol power.

My advice to you is please don't try to shoot any quarry with either of your guns, or at best no more that ten yards for the 6ft/lb and a maximum of fifteen yards for the 8ft/lb.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Hi Phantom, I'm pretty sure that the 8ft/lbs rifle can take a rabbit out at 10-15 yards. A friend of mine uses a ratcatcher that makes roughly the same power to drop rabbits at those distances. But it doesn't happen that often. Not because the gun cant. But him making it within 15 yards of a rabbit is a rare thing!

But again, it depends on the pellet you're using.

I've taken a crow at 30 yards using my Crosman 1377. I believe that makes much less power than yours. But it was a crow.

Check the penetration and accuracy at 20-25 yards. You must be good with the placement since you asked for 30 yards. So look at the penetration. If you feel its sufficient, then go ahead and use it for hunting. But stay under 15 yards.

What would be a good medium to check penetration? Something that'll be close to a rabbit?

I have a 6ft/lbs rifle and an 8ft/lbs.

I wish to hunt, But I am unsure if either of these rifles would make a clean kill if I were to hit a rabbit out at 30 yards?

And before anyone says it "I know its all about placement of the lead"

Phantom

your better with a close to 12lb asyou can get.

what rifles do you have?? can the be upgraded?

personal i wouldn't point anything that low on power at anything but a target.

shot placement is the key but you want a clean kill.

it only takes 2lb"s of pressure to kill a rabbit

head shot like, i youster have a air rifel @ 7lb and it was

wisper qiut , and very accurate! so pwer isint every think!!! ;)

Thanks gentlemen for the advice.

I was concerened that a 6ft/lbs may not have been capable of clean kill at say 30 yards.

I have a 6ft/lbs ASI Sniper in .177 and a Gamo (similar to my old rangemaster but no model or other identifier on the gun) in .22 and thats running at 7 to 8 ft/lbs.

I sold a couple of my Co2 pistols and have now (yesterday) purchased a SMK Mod19 running at 10-11 ft/lbs in.22

So I am confidant now that I can do the biz, bashing bunnies :D will of course take a little to get used to the kick and the heavier trigger but I'm happy with my new purchase.

Cheers again Gents.

Phantom