Fitter = Faster

Ive just read a thread on here and was abit confused about what people think about fitness linking with speed. in my book, a fitter dog is a faster dog. When you train a dog for fitness you are actually training the muscles, and if you are training for speed its important to concentrate on the fibres that produce speed, if your training for endurance then you need to concentrate on the fibres responsible for that....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fitter dog imo will be fast and be able to keep up that fast pace for a long period of time ,on the other hand a less fit dog might have a quicker burst of speed over a shorter distance but will not be able to keep that pace for longer than the fit dog .Hope that makes sense to you :D

Guest ferret feller

on another thread willrennyferreter got shot down for saying this..... to train a dogs fitness levels will make it quicker a dog that sits about in a kennel all day will be less lickly to catch a hare.....

he got the answer

"what planet are you from :o fitter not faster"

im with will on that one and butch without training the dog will be slower...

""plenty of exersise makes them stronger and so faster so yes you can train them to be faster if it jus tsat in kennel all day would it be able to catch a hare?""

""What planet are you on? Fitter not faster!""

Edited by ferret feller

White muscle fibre is what gives the speed, same in humans, what determines how fast you are is down to how fast the white fibres twitch (fast twitch=fast pace, slow twitch=slow pace). What you train for is to develope the body (mainly internal, lungs, heart ect) to be able to maintain top speed for a longer period of time and a faster recovery rate (cardovascular). So a fit dog may not be as fast as an unfit dog, but the fit dog will out run and recover faster than the unfit dog. A dog same as most animals can only run as fast as its natural ability will allow.

on another thread willrennyferreter got shot down for saying this..... to train a dogs fitness levels will make it quicker a dog that sits about in a kennel all day will be less lickly to catch a hare.....

he got the answer

"what planet are you from :o fitter not faster"

im with will on that one and butch without training the dog will be slower...

""plenty of exersise makes them stronger and so faster so yes you can train them to be faster if it jus tsat in kennel all day would it be able to catch a hare?""

""What planet are you on? Fitter not faster!""

Yes, this is the thread that i read, it confused me a bit.

When you train a dog for speed, you concentrate on the muscle fibres responsible for that, you get muscle growth, a more efficient cardiovascular sys and a more effecient lactic acid removal sys and a dog that can run quicker and for longer with less ill effect than if that same dog wasnt trained.

Athletes get sluggish when there not fit and so do dogs. They maybe slightly over weight and their reflexs are not as sharp resulting in them being slower THATS WHY ATHLETES SPEND A LOT MORE TIME TRAINING THAN THEY DO COMPETING. What willrenyferreter said is not as stupid as some were making out and he definetely didnt deserve to be shot down for it!

so if you leave your dog in a pen lame for a few weeks then go out strait after the dog will be able to catch a hare but not 3 out of 3. becouse it has not lost any speed just stanima. i think that is right as i have seen dogs that have not been walked for a while and first time out of the pen catch a hare. but then not get close on a corse after.

I'm sorry, but you cant make a dog go any faster than what it can do.

Keeping the dog fit yes, to maintain it's speed and performance, but not making it faster!

Some dogs are quicker than others, due to size, the x's, the saluki blooded will stay longer than a bull x where a whippet x will have a quicker take off but lack the pace in time.

So the dog is born with what it is born with!

good question.....................

however..what about this?

....two dogs the same age, bred the exactly the same way....housed in the same kennel.....fed on the same food.

One is road walked, and run morning and night.......the other is excercised gently, once a day.

......the dog that has had excessive road walking and hard running is now more muscled, and subsequently quite abit heavier. The other in very good health but has developed more naturally.

Here's the test...from a standing start both are slipped on 200 yard squatter (which they have both seen!).

Which one gets there first......the fitter 'heavier dog??.......or the lighter fit dog'....

Does the increased muscle mass create more speed......or slow it down???..

I suppose you could go on for ever................. so in this instance its fair to say that a 'conclusion ist he place we find ourselves when we're tired of thinking!!!

artic, I agree you cannot make a dog run faster than it is naturally capable of. Think of it like this you would not expect a greyhound to reach its fastest track time after a long lay off would you?

Good post Paul in North Lincs.

Edited by joe ox