coyote dogs

What breed of dogs do you use?

Walkers, Julys, Curs, Curxhound crosses, Stag crosses, field trial greyhound crosses, just about anything that will do it. There are very very few dogs worth a damn around here but you can find good ones. There are alot of staghounds here that should have been culled a long long time ago but folks still feed them. There are some damn good ones though but you have to be pretty selective if you are gonna consistently catch coyotes around here. I will say one thing that always sticks in my mind, "A GOOD DOG IS WHERE YOU FIND IT".

What breed of dogs do you use?

Walkers, Julys, Curs, Curxhound crosses, Stag crosses, field trial greyhound crosses, just about anything that will do it. There are very very few dogs worth a damn around here but you can find good ones. There are alot of staghounds here that should have been culled a long long time ago but folks still feed them. There are some damn good ones though but you have to be pretty selective if you are gonna consistently catch coyotes around here. I will say one thing that always sticks in my mind, "A GOOD DOG IS WHERE YOU FIND IT".

good on you dan, some good pics nice looking hounds too ,one question what's the reason for the docked tail's,all the best old dog

That one female is a cur dog and most our curs get their tails docked. The crossbred is a walker hound/cur x staghound/field trial greyhound. I have no idea why I docked his tail. Guess I was just in the tail docking mood the day he was born. HAHAHA! Seriously, there is no reason at all for it, just did it. I havent docked one since the little brindle gyps litter actually except one on July pup cause his tail was broken.

I forgot to answer the one question about the fur. Yes, we can and do sell most of the furs to a fur buyer. Not all of them get sold cause they aint worth a whole lot but most of mine do. Coyotes are a real bad problem here and we try to exterminate them but you cant get rid of em no matter how hard you try.

Just to add a bit to what Dan said about Coyotes. Their hides will bring some money but you wont get rich off them thats for sure. The Coyote is a pretty amazing animal. It is hunted by thousands of folks here. Most places have no bag limit and open season year round. They are trapped, poisoned, called, run with dogs, shot from planes, killed in their dens and accounted for almost any way you can imagine, there are folks here whos JOB it is to hunt/kill coyotes year round, yet they still increase their numbers every year! They are as comfortable living in a big city as they are the remote wilderness. NO other predator could stand up to that kind of pressure.

As game for a dog they are supreme, as they will out run, out last and out fight most any dog. The true single handed coyote dogs (of any kind) are a thing to be treasured, IMO.

Take care.

Edited by UphillDoc
The true single handed coyote dogs (of any kind) are a thing to be treasured, IMO.

Take care.

Keep an eye on that "Blue" dog as I think he will be one, his dad is, come on Rocks put up a pic of "Stitch".. Have you had him running at all or is he still to pupish?

C.J.