pheasants to acre

would the gamekeepers kindly be able to tell me, how many birds they put down a year in terms of birds to acres, how many birds they put buy and how many survive on average? sorry for all the questions but i'm considering a venture for a falconry centre and my boss would like more solid numbers or at best a general idea, thank you for your time Jakk

just what i was thinking thurso.... but if its just a falconry venture you wouldnt need many, a bit more info is needed, ie how much ground do you have, what sort of ground is it, how many days a week would you go out, so just like your boss we need more info to be of much help.. but at a stab in the dark id say 100 to 200 per 100 acre, i know its only one or two per acre but falconry aint about the numbers killed its about the flight..

the ground itself is arable, grazing and on the edge woodland it already holds quite alot of pheasants i just don't wanna get half way through the next season and not have enough game down.

If you get a return rate of 40% your doing well on pheasant very well on pats.

Andy

he aint shootin he is flying hawks, you wont get any where near a 40 percent return, it dont sond the best ground top release on, id just fly what was there, too many about aint going to help the bird....

• 3 weeks later...

Not really my thing and maybe talking piddle here but why not if there is already a bird population don't you control the pests that may take your birds from you?.If i was in your position i would trap and snare and fly my hawks at the crows,magpies,etc and try to raise the wild bird population,it would give you more sport fly your hawks in the summer months and help you keep your eye on things,take a bird on your trap round sort of thing.Maybe have to put a bit of extra feed down come winter but saves all the new release pens and all that do.

On most shoots where birds are put down I would think that Corvids are sorted out as a matter of course.

How many you can put down to the acre depends on the ground, the cover and remoteness from centres of population. I am in two shoots and the one closest to civilisation is getting to the point when it is not worth the candle. Too many folks running dogs and not giving a damn and plenty of lip when asked to control their dogs.

The other is closer to home. This is not close to population and enjoys some peace and quiet when we are not beating it out.

We get what we want from it and the sport is testing. How many? enough for us! How many can you eat.