Whats the best?

I would look for a springer of the right breeding if its your first one, you want one out of steadier parents not flat out trial dogs, then it should be a slower dog and not so hard to train, then it should be a handy dog for you, some labs will work cover but alot aren't ideal rough shooting dogs and beating is a different game....

I agree with mongoose, go for springer with the right breeding, then try and get first pick at the litter. Go for the quietest looking pup, then it is down to you in putting the time in, at least a calmer dog will make things easier. This is what I did and I am so pleased with the result.

Theres no real right/wrong answer to this as any good working dog will hunt/flush/retrieve. Ok field trials are totally diffrent & a lab aint allowed to hunt but they can iv got 3 that do very well & another that did but dead R.I.P heather. I also have a cocker & is very good in thick bramble tight hag piles etc where my labs are to big to get into. As for pups ie picking 1 well its a whole new ball game as they can change so much pending your influence on the pup & so hard to pick thats how field triallers can go through so many no ill to the dog & a good dog but just not got the edge needed & a good dog to be had when sold on.

Thanks for the reply lads i springers seem to be the ones to go for from the off... 2 lined up to see working but ones over priced to f**k but trained to FT spec just does not turn fast enough what ever that means.. but quaters like a robot thing is iv picked up the feeling the FT dogs ar alot softer then the rough shooting/woodcock dogs ... can anyone shed some light on that for me ...

thank you

Field trials were originally intended as the ultimate test of a working gundog but over the years have almost evolved into a completely different sport.

I think the original idea was that "a good field trial spaniel should be a good working dog with a bit more style, flair and polish" or something along those lines. It's quoted in Keith Erlandson's excellent book but I haven't got it beside me just now.

The problem I found with trialling dogs is that they worked far too fast and didn't pace themselves as they might only have to run for twenty minutes in a trial and have to impress the judges in that time. I once brought a field trial pointer onto a bog and he covered a huge amount of area very impressively but while that might be lovely in a trial or with a line of guns spread out, when you're on your own with a dog on firm point away 200 yards away, it's an almighty pain in the arse, especially when the dog is knackered after half an hour.

For the normal shooting man, slow and steady wins the race every time. That's why triallers will often have excellent dogs for sale, very well trained, but just not flashy enough for trials. It can sometimes take a while for them to learn to pace themselves, but once they do, you could end up with a fantastic shooting companion.

While these dogs may seem expensive, bear in mind what you would spend rearing and training a pup to this standard, and are you sure that you will be able to train the dog to that same standard?

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but there seems to be almost two completely differant types of English Springer Spanial now days.

Firstly you have the FT type that are short in the leg, some with legs like Bulldogs! (feet facing outwards), barrel bodied and in my opinion, are more like Cockers in stature than ESS's, they seem to be great in cover, very fast workers and as some suggest are completely mad!

Then you get the Taller type with a deeper, slimmer chest and longer leg that seem more reserved and not quite as frenzied in their search for game.

Both have their place as working dogs and both will be good swimmers but neither will not be as good in the water as a lot of other breeds.

I guess if you predominately beat then the first type will suit you very well.

As an alrounder I believe the larger working Springer Spaniel is probably one of the most versatile dogs you could work in England, just a superb alrounder.

Short enough to be excellent at hunting in cover with that springer 'zing' about them but reserved enough not to fidget! With long enough legs to retrieve quickly and effiently most game you will shoot.

Retrievers and Labs are mainly used for Retrieving obviously because their so good at it! carrying with ease anything you could legally shoot with a shotgun!, although they can and will work cover, most seem to prefer to run round rather than through.

As for German Pointers, I've only ever seen a couple work, I had been told in the past that they were head strong willfull beasts that range a long way and can take a lot of handling/whistle work to keep at a sensible distance. The few I saw didn't do much to dispell that! (owners fault, not the dog I'm sure)

Some guys on here that have them have shown me the error of this, so much so that I looked into traveling to see a decent one work!!! I started to research them on the net, and even started asking about breeders but I think for now, a decent working, leggy Springer would suit my needs better.

Obviously this is all just my opinion and I apologise for the length of the post!

All the best with your search

Luke.