Floydy's Progress

Out last night as the conditions were ideal. decided to take the pup and see if he's managed to lose the caravan he's been towing lately. Arrived at the designated spot and jumped the fence and promptly skidded on my arse as the field was sodden with rain. You know then that its gonna be one of those nights. I made my way round the field and closed in in my first victim for the night, now it was just as well that there was a heavy wind blowing as each stepp I took my feet sank into the oozing mud. You know how a field cuts up in the rain especially when there's cattle afoot, well I became quite adept at finding hoof prints full of water which shot out the ground like geysers to soak me further. Anyway I digress, made my way to the first rabbit which had clammped on the only dry piece of ground in the whole field and got within about a foot or so before it bolted. Now under different circumstances and with an experienced dog this should have been a no brainer, but this is young Floydy here who usually turns like a tanker in a storm. To my surprise he took of like a whippet and turned the bunny a few times but as usual he lost it at the fence line. So thought to my self well I'm in for a rough night and even considered going back for the other dog who was curled up on my side of the bed while I'm wandering around in gale force conditions soaked to the skin and covered in mud (who was it said Lurchers were daft) but I pushed on. Another run another miss and we went into the last field. Plenty of rabbits about and found one out in the middle clamped, so far so good. Got to within slipping distance and away we went again. To be honest I was expecting the same result but to my surprise the rabbit hit the fence and ran back out again and at last there was a proper chase on couple of turns and Floyd battering through a huge puddle in the field almost causing a sunami in the process and then bang rabbit caught and retreived.

You have no idea how relieved I felt about this as I was beginning to doubt he would make a decent dog at all, and I know its only a rabbit but the frustration of slipping him and him missing or not trying was really beginning to piss me off no end. So bunny dispatched we walked on a bit further and spotted another one clamped out a fair distance, manage to get within a foot or so before slipping him and he ran straight out and banged it, not content with this he then starts juggling with the rabbit losing it a couple of times before getting a decent grip and retreiving it back to me. No more bunny's about so we made our way back to the car. I went to another field a few miles away as I felt he really needed a few more runs to shake of the cobwebs and give his legs and lungs a good work out. We wern't disapointed got another 4 or 5 run's and he managed one more rabbit, missed a few easy ones in the process but overal I was happy with his performance for a change. So packed up for the night headed home and tried to kick the dog out of bed but she wasnt for moving so spent the night on the couch. So there you are another woefull tale of Floydy's progress I know its not a great bag of Markbrick proportions and to be honest I could be doing with some of his ground but hey we make do with what we have.

post-17796-1223375817.jpg

Guest smashygadge

well its all a start and im glad iam not the only one to tke a fall this week lol

and will be a great boost for the little pup .well done floydy and watch your step next time bud lol

not funny is it ha :victory:

well its all a start and im glad iam not the only one to tke a fall this week lol

and will be a great boost for the little pup .well done floydy and watch your step next time bud lol

No mate it's deff not especially when the water is mixed with wet cow shit....lmao I had to undress at the back door hope the neighbours didn't see owt. Aye it should do his confidence the world of good but I need to get him out more on decent rabbit ground.

Great read: I enjoyed that: its good to show the other side of the coin sometimes: all dog have to start somewhere and some are slower than others! Good luck and may he continue to improve! I've had some that have taken nearly 2 seasons to really make the grade: don't give up!

A good read. Reminds me of Tyla, im hoping she will come good this season. Not a good start for her though, she speared herself on something on sunday so is in and out of the vets and out of action for a while now :(

Guest smashygadge

No mate it's deff not especially when the water is mixed with wet cow shit....lmao I had to undress at the back door hope the neighbours didn't see owt. Aye it should do his confidence the world of good but I need to get him out more on decent rabbit ground.

i missed the cow shit lol flat on my face in long wet grass ,but i dont think the rabbits would of smelt you coming lol.id of thought it would be littered up north with old bunnys like all that vast countryside.

or you in the citys.i used to go to my grannys at elgin years ago grand country :victory: