A reasonable start

DDD

Hi Folks,

after 20 odd years of shooting I thought I'd try my hand at ferreting.

Got 2 jills from JuliaTaylor & a hob from a donnie.

First 2 sets of holes I tried this morning - nothing, only thing I did notice was badger & fox carp :icon_eek:

Tried another field corner, too difficult to get into net so I thought I'd net the easy ones & get ready with the shotgun. Initially thought it was a bit ambitious, from corner to either side was about 30ft each side. Tried the hob, walked round & round, thought I'd lost him then a rabbit started squealing, ran round, had to stick my hand into the hole to get the rabbit, up to my shoulder :icon_eek: managed to pull it out with the hob still attached.

Gave the hob a break & a fuss of the rabbit then I thought I'd try him again, as soon as I let him go I knew it was a mistake, little sh1t decided to have a rest :wallbash: out with the locator, managed to find him after getting speared, started to dig - hit rocks & thought sod it, smacked the ground with the flat of the shovel & hey presto he came out the hole he went in. Even tried shaking the rabbit at the hole entrance initially but never worked.

Tried the 2 jills (only 4-5 months old), albino took to it like a duck to water but the poley wasn't interested, more coaxing needed I think.

After 6 hours the total was..............................1 rabbit!! Do I care, not a hope, the sky was blue, wind was blowing & everything was right, a great day.

Will post the pics off my phone when I get them off the memory card.

Do have a few questions about pre working breakfasts, they all had egg this morning, surely enough to prevent a lay up???

Only thing is - looks like it's going to pi55 it down the rest of the week :thumbdown:

Nice work DDD, always good to be out when the sun is shining.

As far as feeding the ferrets pre hunt goes for me I just feed as normal, making sure they have enough food to see them until morning. One or two of my ferrets will sometimes lay up even when they have full bellies. They had a couple of kills under ground yesterday but surfaced again soon after without having a feed.

PM your location in North Yorkshire to me and I maybe able to take you to some of my permissions for a day out with the ferrets.

Regards,

Ian.

sounds like you had a good enough day, to catch the bug and want to go again, have never used a pre breakfast for ferts, meal of rabbit the night before, and just give them time in the morning to use the toilet area, before boxing them up, do take water for them half way through the day, with a little liver from a caught rabbit