A question

JoeD

I also peg as I go. I agree with mole catcher that rabbits will squat out in the field as they sense that something is wrong, or maybe even see you while you are running out the net. But as you are travelling slowly you are not posing a direct threat to them causing them to bolt for home. Just like, say, cattle or sheep would while walking the field grazing at night.

Last time I went out, before I had finished setting the first 50 yds I already had 2 rabbits in the net. Now those rabbits must have seen or sensed me setting the net. However, rather than making a bolt for home they must have squatted till I had passed, then headed for home. If I had run the net out first then gone back to peg it, those rabbits would have been lost.

I believe to be successful at long netting (perhaps more than any other branch of rabbiting) you need to know your grounds intimately. Where rabbits feed on certain directions of wind, what time they feed are things that the long netter has to take into account when deciding when and where to set his nets that night.

Setting out the net is only part of the complete package that is long netting. And the information does not come easy; you have to work at it. One thing I can promise you though, if you are willing to learn from the mistakes you make. Follow the rules of field craft, then the time when you can go out with confidence will not be far away.

tiercel

I also peg as I go. I agree with mole catcher that rabbits will squat out in the field as they sense that something is wrong, or maybe even see you while you are running out the net. But as you are travelling slowly you are not posing a direct threat to them causing them to bolt for home. Just like, say, cattle or sheep would while walking the field grazing at night.

Last time I went out, before I had finished setting the first 50 yds I already had 2 rabbits in the net. Now those rabbits must have seen or sensed me setting the net. However, rather than making a bolt for home they must have squatted till I had passed, then headed for home. If I had run the net out first then gone back to peg it, those rabbits would have been lost.

I believe to be successful at long netting (perhaps more than any other branch of rabbiting) you need to know your grounds intimately. Where rabbits feed on certain directions of wind, what time they feed are things that the long netter has to take into account when deciding when and where to set his nets that night.

Setting out the net is only part of the complete package that is long netting. And the information does not come easy; you have to work at it. One thing I can promise you though, if you are willing to learn from the mistakes you make. Follow the rules of field craft, then the time when you can go out with confidence will not be far away.

tiercel

It seems those of us in the know about long netting at night are growing in their numbers, very true words spoken :clapper::clapper:

now if you do it the proper way with fixed poles , you don,t have all this running up and down or backpegging mullarky :whistling:

:hmm: I have heard about this system but I thought it was for people with little or no fieldcraft. :hmm:

Tiercel

Edited by tiercel
now if you do it the proper way with fixed poles , you don,t have all this running up and down or backpegging mullarky :whistling:

:hmm: I have heard about this system but I thought it was for people with little or no fieldcraft. :hmm:

Tiercel

DING DING, round two of the whats best debate, quickset or endpins :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Tiercel

:laugh: @ Tiercel... :laugh:

It sometimes seems that way Tiercel,..but,..having used both methods ,..( I was once a competent 'back pegger')...but,..when I started lamping the various quarry with lurchers,.I ceased using the long nets at night,.and simply ran them out for the daytime ferreting work... :yes:

And I abandoned the old ways..!

Just for the craic,..I had a crack at the 'back pegging' the other day,.but,.I was crap,.. :no:

Maybe I could get my 'eye' back in,.work on my tensions,.. and perhaps recapture the knack (and it is a definite knack)... :hmm: but,..somehow I doubt it... :no:

Sadly,.I am on a fairly sticky wicket because I am possibly the only dumb fecker in the entire civilised world that finds using the 'easy peasy' Basket method awkward :blink:

I WILL keep at it,..but until then I shall continue with my traditional 'end pins' and hazel wands style,.and enjoy the freedom of weaving in and out of them dark oak woodlands... :thumbs:

Each to their own,..and respect to you guys who are keeping it real... :clapper:

All the best,..CHALKWARREN.. :drink:

Each to his own mate, in the debate earlier, I conceded a couple of things which are trivial, and given ideal conditions, I believe we could all kill rabbits. The one thing I'll accept is that you are probably better pegging as you go, if you can manage it, if not, do it your own way, as the saying goes, "you can only piss with the cock you've got" We're all rabbit catchers, and the, I can do it better than you argument, is subject to so many criteria such as locality, light pollution number of rabbits, pressure on the rabbits,etc, that unless you assume that I am clever and the rest of you are stupid, then I think we all do alright. I'm happy enough messing about as I do. As I said earlier, I'll persevere pegging as I go till it gets easier. Each to his own. Ian.

i was taught to back peg and have never tried pegging as you go , i don,t think i could do it so i,m sticking with the fixed poles, there are places that fixed poles don,t work where i,m at , uneven ground and heather beds , so i have a few traditional nets that i use in daylight only,

strange , i am not a lover of purse nets and have always prefered the daylight longnets for ferreting or bushing up , but lately i have bin doing some ground that is best done with pursenets again very uneven and big heather beds, so i,m making a few more pursenets to add to my small collection just for those sets,use the best method to suite the ground

i was taught to back peg and have never tried pegging as you go , i don,t think i could do it so i,m sticking with the fixed poles, there are places that fixed poles don,t work where i,m at , uneven ground and heather beds , so i have a few traditional nets that i use in daylight only,

strange , i am not a lover of purse nets and have always prefered the daylight longnets for ferreting or bushing up , but lately i have bin doing some ground that is best done with pursenets again very uneven and big heather beds, so i,m making a few more pursenets to add to my small collection just for those sets,use the best method to suite the ground

: Too right,...if it works,.then use it....

ADAPTABILITY is the hallmark of a successful,.and long lived hunter.... :thumbs:

All the best,...CW... :drink:

i was taught to back peg and have never tried pegging as you go , i don,t think i could do it so i,m sticking with the fixed poles,

To be honest with you I find that statement rather defeatist. Sounds like "I have never tried it, so I can't do it" How do you know untill you try? Try it in the daylight, you may have a pleasant surprise. It is not as difficult as it seems.

There you go. As Chalkwarren said adaptability, you cannot have too many 'tricks up your sleve' if a stuation calls for longnets then use them. But, if purse nets are the better bet, then you use purse nets. try not to be blinkered in your approach, keep an open mind.

My opinions only, for what they are worth!

Tiercel

i,m not defeatist at all and am more than willing to try something different or difficult, i was taught many years ago , that back pegging was "the" way to set longnets , i didn,t know any different and was listening to people that had set longnets , i then moved onto gsw,s method of fixed pole and dragging the net , then onto baskets , never had a need to learn pegging as you go and not really interested as the other methods cover my needs