Kayak fishing.

i have a similar canoe, not fished from it here but i have in africa - great fun! Word of warning though, the wind pushes them around like crazy and its easy to exhaust yourself so be careful! Does yours have skegs fitted?

No it does'nt, i was planning to carry a small drogue to slow the drifts down a bit if needs be.

See if you can find some retro fit ones, they dont half make a difference in the wind. A drogue would work though but i've never tried it, might drag you a bit as the canoes are so light :hmm:

Let us know how it goes, good luck!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hope he didn't sink!

:clapper: No iv not sunk, my trusty VW van is just back from the garage and im sizing up taking the passenger seat out and putting it behind the drivers seat so my yak will all but fit in. The cornish weather has been a bit rough from a novice yaka's point of view and im keen but not silly, the first tidy day we get i prommise i will sack work for the day and go on my voyage of discovery. watch this space, oh jebus i hope i dont go out and sink now after saying this :icon_eek:

Had the maiden voyage today!!! Didnt do much fishing as i only took a six ft spinner and one spoon.

Caerhays and Hemmick , both on the south coast, had a heck of a clean swell coming in and several sufers making use of it. Far to big for me to even considder so i nipped round to Portmellon (next to Mevagissey) and paddeled out in to a mill pond. I cant put in to words how g'dam fantastic it was, i took to it quite quick and did a bit of casting to see what the craic was with it. Spent about three hours out and covered a bit of distance, anyway its meant to be nice weather again tomoro so im going out again but with a couple of proper rods and a bit more tackle.

Took the bench seat out of my Transporter and i can get most of the yak in, only have to lash up the doors with a bit of twine and im away!!

How big were the pollack BB?How long was your session?

I was out from 12 to 4:30 ish, the wind got up to much and my drifts were getting a bit quick.

The two biggest fish were only pushing 2lb but it was an eye opener as to what it might be like dealing with a real-un.

I was a bit gutted that i lost my home made feathers, ( made from a Jay's wing) seems to be something about those stripey irridescent blue feathers. Glad i kept some feathers back just incase, out with the old fly tying gear tonight i think.

I have regular sit in kayaks, not the sea type like yours. The sort i have tip fairly easily in rough water but ive never tipped in the estuary because where the water is calm. Scary the first time I coped mine though, nothing like having your legs trapped stuck upside down under cold muddy water in strong current. It can happen quick, just be aware of that. Anyway thats a lovely rig you have there though.

one more bit of kit im going to be getting is an inflatable thing that goes around the oar, if you cope you can use it to get yourself and your kayak back to shore.

Edited by kvnmcwebn