feeding

fergie

Well I have been thinking, after reading that people who feed there dogs on the BARF diet often miss a day's feed. So there dogs can fully digest ect. I wondered if anyone on here misses a day’s food with there ferrets every week or month? I guess that for all those who feed solely on a raw meat diet because its natural then is it not natural that a wild ferret / polecat would not get to eat every day?

I will point out that my ferrets are feed on both raw meat and dry food (James welbeloved)

Only time they wont get feed everyday is in the colder months if i put a big lump of meat in with them like half a deer or big howl cockeral theyve enbough food to keep them going then . i wouldnt miss a days grub with them they arnt set up like dogs who do well missing a day imho .

years ago I used to miss a day, but then I knew they had bits hidden as ferrets do, nowdays as nothing is left hidden in corners, they either eat it or I remove it, I tend not to miss a days feeding, but rather miss a day feeding fresh meat, and just give them dry

It certainly wont harm any carnivore to have a day without food, I'm not sure about a ferret having a day off to digest though, they have got a short digestive tract. :hmm: I'd think the benefit would be that the ferret would get to burn up some fat during the off day. Not really needed in the winter though, as they use more energy to keep warm, if they are kept outside.