stop the rust

heres one for every one ...???????????

i work in the car industry im a mechanic for ford . now we have a spray shop if i went near with silicon spray they flip big time it gets air bourne sticks to cars then paint dont stick ....

now if it does that in a garage sure it is air bourne round gun ? ie if you pump your gun up silicone could get in bottle ... i dont no just asking lol

I can fully appreciate that Celtic, and that was why i suggested spraying the silicone onto a cloth (thereby making your own silicone cloth, like) and then rubbing the cloth over the blueing. That way, the spray vapour don't get near the bottles or working parts, sort of thing? :thumbs:

Regards,

Grim.

Edited by Grim Reaper
Is 'silicon' the same as 'silicone'?

I've always thought 'silicon' was a non-metallic crystalline element, and 'silicone' something I use to make/repair fish tanks or seal the bath....

I think that both words are used in reference to the same thing you describe the highlighted bit above Droid, its just that Silicon is an Americanism, in respect of the way it is spelt?

Much the same as we say 'Colour' - whereas 'Color' is an americanism, if you see what i mean. :hmm:

The sealant you talk of usually says on the tube "silicone kitchen/bathroom sealant" - this refers to the fact that the sealant 'goo' (for want of a better word :laugh: ) contains silicone within it, as one of its constituent ingredients.

I believe this is the correct way of thinking, but someone who knows more can feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. :thumbs:

Regards,

Grim.

wd40 will be fine but i only use it on my rifles till the morning as its abit to thin oil to protect if the rifle is stored for abit of time. 3in1 oil is much better its alot thicker and so will protect more.

THE KEY TO IT MATE IS NOT ! TO DO THIS AS YOU GET HOME RIGHT AWAY AS YOU TRAP THE DAM

LEAVE THE RIFLE AT ROOM TEMP 1ST FOR ABIT. IF ITS REALLY WET THEN DRY IT OFF BUT LEAVE IT AT ROOM TEMP THEN OIL ON A RAG AND WIPE OVER. :thumbs:

sorry lads i know this might sound abit basic , but was out last night and it was abit damp. cleaned the gun down when i got home ,but the next day i found small spots of rust showing on the barrel.Is there any sort of oil i can use to prevent this next time. :icon_redface:

Did you manage to get the rust off? :hmm:

I'm a fan of the Birchwood Casey stuff but it can be expensive, so shop around.

As for the rust removal...

I use Parker Hale Youngs 303 Oil (roughly £3 a can) and some very fine grade steel wool 000 (that's treble zero) or 0000 (quadruple or 4 zero's).

Liberally apply the Youngs to the steel wool and the GENTLY work it into the rusty spots. You should feel the steel agitate the rust and it will start to lift off. Do Not Apply Too Much Pressure As You Will Eventually Start To Remove The Blueing. The Coarser The Wool The Quicker This Will Happen

When you're done, wipe off the excess although this will act as a rust inhibitor for the future.

The sooner you do this the better as corrosion doesn't get any better with time.

nice one mate, I'll have a look at the Midland game fair and see if i can pick some up, cheers :notworthy:

Pay particular attention to everything Chris has mentioned above and highlighted...don't cut ANY of the corners or you will regret it!! :thumbs: