stop the rust

i know how to prevent runst in the barrell and just moister over all, silaca bags you get when you buy new shoes, those little bags that draw moister out of things, mady a hand full in your gun safe will just prevent it, but wont stop the stuff you already have.

WD40 won't affect the blueing, but it isn't the best choice really - it attracts dust and grit etc.

The best thing to use in my opinion is the liquid silicone you can get that comes in aerosol cans - this type of silicone is usually used in woodworking joinery firms as a lubricant on the wood machines where wood is fed into the machine over say, a table or bench.

What i have done is to liberally spray a lint free cloth so as to saturate it, with the silicone, and i wipe the blued parts of the rifle over with it. Afetrwrads, when you have finnished with the cloth, simply put it into a sandwich bag or simillar, and keep it safe. The bag keeps the cloth clean for one thing, and helps to stop the silicone from evapourating so easily from the cloth.

Afet a while, when you think it needs a top up of silicone, just open it out on a suface and re-spray the cloth.

WD40 (or similar oil sprays for that matter) is known to be a particularly bad choice due to its ability to attract dust partickles and grit that is in the air. As you can imagine, if that crap should get into your rifle's working parts (especially the valves, if your rifle is a PCP) then you will have lots of problems in the future.

You can buy the silicone lubricant spray in most hardware type shops such as MachineMart, Axeminster Tool shops and such places such as that. Failing that, you can use the 'cockpit' sprays that can be bought in halfords and most car shops - these also contain silicone in them.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Grim.

Edited by Grim Reaper

I use car engine oil. Cheapest being about £5 a gallon from the supermarket & in that quantity lasts forever.

Beeswax wood polish, nicked off Mrs P for the stock, which provides a bit of extra grip if it's wet or your hands are sweaty.

Yes there's a place for more specialized lubricants, but the exterior aint one of 'em.

It's more a question of repelling moisture & removing sweaty handprints, so most of the time the stock just gets a rub with a soft cloth & the metalwork a quick wipe-over with an oily rag. But you gotta do it every time after you use the gun. Never put it away damp or dirty.

Guest hyperion

DO NOT USE SILICON BASED LUBES! they can eat into rubber seals and they cause wear on metal to metal contacts points! breach jaws ect! wd40 is awful stuff as grim says goes all sticky and minging! i use vp90 its great stuff! or any good gun oil really ask your local gun shop!

as for engine oil??? :no::no::no:

i know how to prevent runst in the barrell and just moister over all, silaca bags you get when you buy new shoes, those little bags that draw moister out of things, mady a hand full in your gun safe will just prevent it, but wont stop the stuff you already have.

:thumbs:

DO NOT USE SILICON BASED LUBES! they can eat into rubber seals and they cause wear on metal to metal contacts points! breach jaws ect! wd40 is awful stuff as grim says goes all sticky and minging! i use vp90 its great stuff! or any good gun oil really ask your local gun shop!

as for engine oil??? :no::no::no:

Hi Hyper,

I think you may have mistook what i was meaning bud? :hmm:

I didn't mean anyone to use silicone lube or owt like that - rather, what i meant was that you CAN use silicone on the blueing (which is on the outside of the rilfe only) itself, but not at all to be used actually 'in' the rifle itself - thats a no no.

Wiping the blueing over with a silicone impregnated cloth does no harm whatsoever - Napier and others do sell such a thing, after all. :yes:

Hope this clarifies what i meant a bit better? :thumbs:

Regards,

Grim.

heres one for every one ...???????????

i work in the car industry im a mechanic for ford . now we have a spray shop if i went near with silicon spray they flip big time it gets air bourne sticks to cars then paint dont stick ....

now if it does that in a garage sure it is air bourne round gun ? ie if you pump your gun up silicone could get in bottle ... i dont no just asking lol