Border Terriers

tyson is not a worker mate hes a show dog i was with a mate at a show saw this dog and my mate was judging he had to put the dog best in show as it was the only terrier that deserved it the only credit i can give tyson is he is true to type and a strong dog naw i have been to a show down south and ther was a bloke ther who had borders his wife showed them he worked them and i have never in my life seen borders like that emagen a realy hard fell dog that trys to eat its way from head to arse of its quarry then this is them dogs very small bitches very strong dogs i cant for the life of me think were it was but we went for a stud of the luddlems if any body knows them breed good working russles any ways it will come to me unless some one say the name of the place any way if i was you i would go to him for a stud or even a pup the proof is at the end of the leads we that man not a big talker tho

I think I know who you are on about ..Bitches way too small.And at £500 a pup whoooooo.I take it you mean Ludlams ? .. The last Levi blooded borders I saw were very strong

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i do mean them its him and his dad who have the realy good russles lee ludlam and his dad realy hard russels when down at his he had two border bitches they were his wifes but the layed in front of the fire the show was at the game fair in ipswitch that were the bloke was and were were judgeing i spoke to lee bout them after and he sed they were realy hard dogs he put a bitch in the show that was five she had about tree teeth

i was told they would work like a lakey patterdale fell if not harder with less brains but i for one belive it as to see the dogs you do not have to go out wiyh him

Really hard russells eh :hmm: Lad down the road has a dog hardly any front teeth left ,mind he spends all day chewing on the bars of the kennel door..Must be a different B and L Ludlam I know then as the two I know dont have any hard russells

the ludlems i no had a russle bitch that was put as champion in the shows and 2weeks later she got killed are they the same he lives next door to his dad (or his dad could still be living in a caravan)as they were building a house on the land ther in to chickens to
The bitch died of a fit or heart attack NOT because it was as you described hard.99% of their work is bushing as Brian himself will tell you.
tyson is not a worker mate hes a show dog i was with a mate at a show saw this dog and my mate was judging he had to put the dog best in show as it was the only terrier that deserved it the only credit i can give tyson is he is true to type and a strong dog naw i have been to a show down south and ther was a bloke ther who had borders his wife showed them he worked them and i have never in my life seen borders like that emagen a realy hard fell dog that trys to eat its way from head to arse of its quarry then this is them dogs very small bitches very strong dogs i cant for the life of me think were it was but we went for a stud of the luddlems if any body knows them breed good working russles any ways it will come to me unless some one say the name of the place any way if i was you i would go to him for a stud or even a pup the proof is at the end of the leads we that man not a big talker tho

how the feck can you tell if the is dog worked or not just by your mate judgeing it what a load of shite.i now lads who have dug to the dog just because it wins shows and looks smart and its not got half its face missing doesnt mean it dont work :censored:

With all due respect lads I hear a lot about Patterdales, Lakies and Russells. But what about the Border!

I was the same as most of you, I didn't go much on Borders. I bred Lakies (Middleton strain) for 30 years and still do, however 3 years ago I picked up a Border bitch (Levy Oates/Ray Walker) and what an excellent little bitch she is. She started early, and at 11 months old seen her first Fox (very shallow dig, so not to spoil her). She's gone from strength to strength and i've had some very good digs with her.

Would like to hear your opinions about what you think and experiences you've had with Borders.

I've always looked upon the border as a real shame...... Shame that such a near perfect, sound physical terrier could/would be near brought to ruin by the Sheckel, I suppose it just went out of 'fashion' in the world of the 'working' terrier!

Some continued to breed good 'uns, Levi was one and I rated Jeff Fenerolli's also, I have heard the breed is still safe with some.... I hope so.

Park's stuff can throw Border type from time to time, these seem to produce decent stock too. Though, if any take the time to look back at that line of Fell's, some were very Borderish (Buck's Tiger & Tex).

Last time I spoke to Gary Middleton (about 6 years since), he was 'working' Borders more than his line of Lakie's.... maybe that says sommat :hmm::rolleyes:

Funny.... No one on this thred has mentioned the Cunningham-Rice stuff :no::laugh::laugh:

i only know one person who says he has a crap border , he must be very unlucky :rolleyes: . or has yet to catch the kb disease .

Sam(Earth Stoppers Digger Kc)bred out of Feneroli's Thor (Blue Neptune Kc). Travelled down to Wales in 1997 and paid £350 to Jeff Feneroli for the dog pup. He entered at 8 month old and I dug to him well till the end of that 1st season. I have bolted many fox's with Sam and is now retired in the house. I have got many photo's of the dog with blood on his face and he has teeth missing and working scares. I can take you out and have a dig to show you him work, but being a old dog it will be a small shallow place. I have worked with hunts and been offered working cert. for him but never bothered collecting them.

THE ABOVE IS ALL TRUE and anyone looking for a stud dog it reads well.

A bit more of the truth, after his first season the dog would only stop 30 mins on anything, I used the dog to bolt fox's from earth's I could not dig, bushing work were I would not let a proper digging dog of the lead, the odd dig in puppy earths and the dog is a pleasure to own as a pet for my lad.

The dog has been used at stud for mates that just rat and bush with thier dogs and I gave the pups for stud out to family and friends for free.

I could have made ££££££'s with this dog but I have always told everyone the truth about my dogs. Usless digging dog SAM.

Reason I wrote this is LOOK INTO WHAT PEOPLE SAY only believe what you see over time, not to say there are no good digging borders, but that I have not seen many and the ones I have seen dont pass that digging gene to many of their pups.

Sam(Earth Stoppers Digger Kc)bred out of Feneroli's Thor (Blue Neptune Kc). Travelled down to Wales in 1997 and paid £350 to Jeff Feneroli for the dog pup. He entered at 8 month old and I dug to him well till the end of that 1st season. I have bolted many fox's with Sam and is now retired in the house. I have got many photo's of the dog with blood on his face and he has teeth missing and working scares. I can take you out and have a dig to show you him work, but being a old dog it will be a small shallow place. I have worked with hunts and been offered working cert. for him but never bothered collecting them.

A bit more of the truth, after his first season the dog would only stop 30 mins on anything, I used the dog to bolt fox's from earth's I could not dig, bushing work were I would not let a proper digging dog of the lead, the odd dig in puppy earths and the dog is a pleasure to own as a pet for my lad.

The dog has been used at stud for mates that just rat and bush with thier dogs and I gave the pups for stud out to family and friends for free.

I could have made ££££££'s with this dog but I have always told everyone the truth about my dogs. Usless digging dog SAM.

Reason I wrote this is LOOK INTO WHAT PEOPLE SAY only believe what you see over time, not to say there are no good digging borders, but that I have not seen many and the ones I have seen dont pass that digging gene to many of their pups.

That's an honest post......pity more people wouldn't admit to their dogs shortcomings...

That's an honest post......pity more people wouldn't admit to their dogs shortcomings...

The reason that I put this post up, was to enquire about other working Borders i.e digging dogs, and the men that work them.

I would like to know if anyone else works Levi's line or Oxcroft or even Feneroli's lines. I have dug to my bitch on numerous occassions, the longest being over 3 hours. I also know that Levi's line throws true to type and are grafters.

So come on all of you hardcore border men, defend them - and breed worker to worker!!

Let's not let the working border die, I know that their are small pockets of men that work them hard.