purse nets

will.f11

I bought a hemp purse net making kit and have been having trouble making them. I can do all of it up until the 3rd row when all the knots start coming apart and the mesh seems to vary insize even though i take time to use the gauge. can someone please help?

I think so. i only have a piece of wood at 2 1/4 inchs. but I was told that that was fine. If anyone has an old mesh gauge they dont need i would be happy to take it off there hands :) also I use the mesh board and then pull the knots tight. I tried to teach myself through brian brinded net making dvd

right I think I have realized my mistake... When you go to the second row of meshes and increase the mesh by 1 at the first mesh and once at the ned. On the Third row I think I was holding the gauge wrong as when I did the first mesh it started getting bigger and bigger, and the same with those b*****d little mesh that are created by the increase of meshes. If this makes any sense then have I found out the right thing? should I be holding the hemp against the top of the mesh board tight to stop slipping? please help, regards

Will.f11

well. everything is fine until I start the 3rd row of meshes on a purse net. I tried again and havent managed. I have all of my holiday in france to crack it and I think it may be down to the mesh board Im using aswell. I hope I get the one from dadd2005 before i leave !!

yes I have seen it but I have found my really good brinded one. I can knitt it onto the ring but its when I get to the 3rd row that all the meshes pull through and go slack, and different sizes. Can I make nets that are non shaped? and turn them into purse nets?

I would say your not keeping everything tight Will. Yes you can make straight nest if you find that easyer but I found making the shaped nets much easyer (and less time + material consuming) than knitting the straight nets.