Lamping

Ok, with all the banter going backwards and forwards regarding the lamping competition, does anybody still genuinely believe that there's some mystique about lamping?.

In truth could there be anything easier for a running dog or do some people believe there's a skill involved.

I will concede that experience and regular lamping will increase the end tally, but is it really that hard?.

Before everyone jumps on me, I won't be entering as I only have a four month old pup (lets me off the hook) but I genuinely believe I could go to the local pound, pick any lurcher type dog, spend say a month educating it and lamping with it and whilst I might not win I don't think I would be last.

That's just straight point and fire basics I'm talking here, no retrieving, fieldcraft etc.

Obviously some dogs will be better than others, thats the same in everything we all do.............. but i think the difference is how the dog gets brought on, and i think an individuals lamping technique will dictate how your dog is able to run and in answer to how easy can it be......get yourself out with say 50 people and see how different lamping styles can be.......... :thumbs:

The point I'm making is lamping isn't hard and is probably , no definately the easiest learnt type of hunting , a youngster with a greyhound type on the right ground with access to rabbits could better an experienced man and dog on ground with less rabbits.

The point I'm making is lamping isn't hard and is probably , no definately the easiest learnt type of hunting , a youngster with a greyhound type on the right ground with access to rabbits could better an experienced man and dog on ground with less rabbits.

yeah that could happen.......but like i say from what i've seen it depends who's holding the lamp and how efficient they are with it.......... :thumbs:

Its the Dog that has the skill not the lamper.The only thing about it is because the quarry is nocturnal you find more.If you live in an area that is well lamped quarry is usually clued up on what the lamp is and off like a shot at full speed.In the case of a rabbit it takes speed then to close with it.It also takes brains to change up and down the gears when on fox or deer(if they were legal).Although to listen to some on here you would think the best thing a running dog does is retrieve.The best thing a running dog can do is run and achieve great speed whilst still being in control and having great reflexes.Imo any method of producing quarry within a reasonable distance for a hound to see and chase has its worth.Thats all lamping is.A method of getting close enough to animals for youre dog to course.If you are suggesting any old mongrel can then perform as well as a running dog then I think youve been in the wrong company.Im talking here about running not lifting out of seats or snapping up the odd confused bunny.Ive never owned a top class rabbiting lurcher but ive seen them perform.The sort that combine lightening speed with unbelievable strike time after time.If you could pick those up in the local dog pound you could be a rich man.
Its the Dog that has the skill not the lamper.The only thing about it is because the quarry is nocturnal you find more.If you live in an area that is well lamped quarry is usually clued up on what the lamp is and off like a shot at full speed.In the case of a rabbit it takes speed then to close with it.It also takes brains to change up and down the gears when on fox or deer(if they were legal).Although to listen to some on here you would think the best thing a running dog does is retrieve.The best thing a running dog can do is run and achieve great speed whilst still being in control and having great reflexes.Imo any method of producing quarry within a reasonable distance for a hound to see and chase has its worth.Thats all lamping is.A method of getting close enough to animals for youre dog to course.If you are suggesting any old mongrel can then perform as well as a running dog then I think youve been in the wrong company.Im talking here about running not lifting out of seats or snapping up the odd confused bunny.Ive never owned a top class rabbiting lurcher but ive seen them perform.The sort that combine lightening speed with unbelievable strike time after time.If you could pick those up in the local dog pound you could be a rich man.

I've seen good dogs blighted by shit lampers........... :yes:

[Fair enough point my bitch i got from pound when she was five months old all any person does with any dog with greyhound in it is get it first few kills after that the dog does the rest.But i agree with a comment made to ye if you have a chap on the lamp who is cluless dog end up the same

Well you would think its not rocket science but I've been out with a few peeps who thought they were auditioning for lighthouse keepers and some who are facinated by the beam...then there's the one's who blind you constantly and the ones who light you up from the back usually near a farmhouse. The one who's dog wont come back and hunts up. The one who lets his dog go as yours is coming back in. The one who wont shut up. The one with the dog that opens up. The one with the dog that aint stock broke. The one with the dog who doesn't like your dog....and finally the one who's wheel comes of the car when your 40mile from home. This is why I mostly go solo now. :icon_eek:

i think its a bit of both ,the dog and the bloke are just as important, and both will get better the more they go out , bloke on lamp can make and spoil night, but also dog, every one works thier dogs to diff quarry diff ways on lamp,

Well you would think its not rocket science but I've been out with a few peeps who thought they were auditioning for lighthouse keepers and some who are facinated by the beam...then there's the one's who blind you constantly and the ones who light you up from the back usually near a farmhouse. The one who's dog wont come back and hunts up. The one who lets his dog go as yours is coming back in. The one who wont shut up. The one with the dog that opens up. The one with the dog that aint stock broke. The one with the dog who doesn't like your dog....and finally the one who's wheel comes of the car when your 40mile from home. This is why I mostly go solo now. :icon_eek:
The kind of person you are describing is genrally known as an idiot or moron and are best avoided.
i think its a bit of both ,the dog and the bloke are just as important, and both will get better the more they go out , bloke on lamp can make and spoil night, but also dog, every one works thier dogs to diff quarry diff ways on lamp,

Spot on :victory:

BIRD

I dont think its a wind up at all, Mackay has had some more than decent lurchers over the years and knows what hes on about :victory: I happen to agree with him that lamping is one of the easiest disciplines to train a dog to and the one which most lurchers succeed at, even if they dont make the grade for other types of work, JMHO :thumbs:

The kind of person you are describing is genrally known as an idiot or moron and are best avoided.

Yes I can think of some more choice words to describe them unfortunately most of them have the permission on the good rabbit ground...but mostly avoid them now :icon_eek: