weird as f**k

If i remember rightly, brown feathers would indicate that the gull was around 2 - 2 1/2 yrs or under in age - the brown feathers stay brown until adulthood is reached (at around 2 to 2 1/2 years of age, i believe?). That is when the plumage changes colour into the more familliar whites, greys and blacks we are more used to seeing the gulls wearing.

As said, Lesser black backed, greater black backed, and herring gulls are on the quarry list; but please, just be careful as to the 'where's' and 'why's' when shooting them guys. ;):thumbs:

Regards,

Grim.

:thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Guest hyperion
* Rant starting *

Collectively speaking, shit hawkes is what those feckers are - i mean to say, the state they leave the paintwork of your car in after they have finished dumping their dinner all over it!! :angry:

* Rant over *

Living in a seaside town, I share your sentiments! I've had several close encounters with the feckers due to being in the building trade, and working on roofs where the feckers nest.

When my daughter was smaller, we were on the beach, and the dirty b'stards flocked to her and took a sandwich out of her hand, she was only about 10ft away from us.

They've been protected for so long, they've lost their fear of humans.

The tourists don't help, feeding the feckers in the pub beer gardens, etc. It's a novelty to have one of the great fecking things sat on the picnic tables in front of them, feeding off scraps that they give them. Different story when they start to flock and then get aggressive and start flapping & squawking at the stupid dickheads, and nicking the food of their plates.

I've even seen one family of particularly stupid tourists, sitting on one of the town benches feeding the feckers chips, saying to one of their kids, 'Ow, that's right love, give the ducks a chip!' :blink: Work that one out?! :laugh:

The only good seagull is a dead seagull IMO. :hunter::laugh::thumbs:

used to live in south cornwall an the seagulls would nick the bangers off the bbq as soon as you werent looking! used to keep me air rifle next to me and pick them off the roof between turning burgers! :hunter:

also noticed that if you leave a dead seagull out where ever you dont want them the other birds stay well away!

It most probebly was not electrocuted mate as it would of been dead when it hit the floor..what will of happened is it has crashed into the power line as i have seen it happen first hand..

I have also found a lot of dead pigeon's and swan's under power lines that they have collided with..

Millet

Im with you on this one millet, unless the bird somehow managed to earth itself when hitting the power line i doubt it got any shock at all, other than that to its neck when suddenly crashing into a cable out of nowhere. Ive seen swans aswell dead under power lines, took me a while to figure what had happened as the bird was just laying there dead on the side of a footpath at least 500 yards from the river, then i looked up and i realised

used to live in south cornwall an the seagulls would nick the bangers off the bbq as soon as you werent looking! used to keep me air rifle next to me and pick them off the roof between turning burgers! :hunter:

also noticed that if you leave a dead seagull out where ever you dont want them the other birds stay well away!

With reference to the above highlight . . . . . .

The thing i find most . . . . . haunting (if you like) is that, when you have shot a gull, it's brethren flock to the skies and fly around above the scene for about 15-20 mins and sing a 'requiem' for their fallen comrade. This is one of the most strangest moments i have witnessed, and one which i find raises the hair on my neck, like?

When my workmate and i used to cull the gulls where we worked, there is a large ornate gothic style chapel nearby(now decommissioned and is now a pre-school nursery), and the gulls always conducted the requiem while flying over and around this chapel - a rather spooky sight to behold and to hear!

Regards,

Grim.