think my dogs a fag

Guest smashygadge

Guest smashygadge

i have a dog nearly 2 years now come to second time trying to breed him, bitch is ready

and he just wont mount the bitch .anyone else had this problem :wallbash: and wanting to breed him for my own reasons before all the backlash thanks :thumbs: is he just a jaffa?

There can be lots of reasons why a dog wont mate a bitch, and vice versa, why the bitch wont stand for the dog.

If hes inexperienced, it may take a few tries before he realises what hes meant to do, if hes not used to bitches or has never lived with them, he may be unsure how to read the bitches signals. If your standing over him watching or stressing over it, he may be picking up on this, it sounds mad, but some dogs can be funny if they have an audience but as soon as your backs turned they are on the bitch. Some studs can be funny if you try to touch or help them along.

If its a case of it being your own dog and bitch, then the problem could be that familiarity breeds contempt, in this case its easily sorted by seperating them completely for a few hours or overnight, keep the dog and bitch totally away from each other, in different parts of the house if theyre indoor dogs, in different kennels if theyre outdoor dogs. Then reintroduce them and see if the absence has made the heart fonder :D

It may also be that the bitch is just not quite ready and the dog senses this? Usually an experienced dog who has lined a few bitches will know not to waste time and energy bothering with a bitch who is not quite ovulating and who is just teasing him. The inexperienced dog will often try to mount the bitch and get a telling off for his troubles. If hes had the face taken off him a couple of times by a fiesty bitch whos not quite ready to stand, then he may back off a bit and leave her until she is more ready. The odours she produces and licking her and her urine will tell the dog when the right time is.

If all else fails then he may just be a crap stud, I have seen it happen before, especially with dogs that have never lived with a bitch. My mate has a dog like that he always wanted to hump my bitches all the time even when they werent in season when we took them for walks together. When the bitch I wanted to use him over finally came in season he wasnt interested, we tried everything and all he did was sniff her dance around her and then look back at his owner all the time. She ended up going off and leaving him alone for a couple of hours and he still wouldnt line the bitch :doh: I had to use another dog in the end.

Good luck :D

Guest smashygadge

yes i see every point made and just think its my dog too inexperienced and the only reason i want to breed him is to give some back to guy who gave me him it is the second season now this has happened and quite frustrating but probably as you say he could be picking up on that but too be honest i just dont think he is the type .saying that if i give him a teddy lol no probs he will mount all day long :wallbash: thx :thumbs:

My friend had a problem like this - her bitch was in season but the dog didn't seem to know what to do. We took them somewhere they could run free together and ignored them. They ran and played together for ages and then the next thing we knew they were tied and the job was done!

I think running and playing together is necessary for the bitch to be fully ready.

Yep definately :victory: the natural way for dogs to mate is for the dog to chase the bitch until she gives in and stops and stands for him. Allthough its not always practical to do this ie if you have to travel a long distance to a stud and time is limited, or space to let them run around free from the interference of other dogs and dog walkers, but if you can its the best way, I have a wee paddock where I let my bitches run with the dog, he will usually chase them around and pin them in a corner, never had much bother mating my own stud dogs but have had a lot of bother using other peoples at times :doh:

Guest smashygadge

well thanks for all the replys lol i just dont think he has the beans .ive bred bulls in the past they would go at it like rabbits .new to me these lurchers ive never known it in a dog quite frustrating lol anyway if not this time i no not to bother next lol :thumbs: and then he may suprise me

well thanks for all the replys lol i just dont think he has the beans .ive bred bulls in the past they would go at it like rabbits .new to me these lurchers ive never known it in a dog quite frustrating lol anyway if not this time i no not to bother next lol :thumbs: and then he may suprise me

Sounds like inexperience, when we had this bother the introduction of another male dog who knows the score is usually enough to spark interest. Hope it works out for you.