Any tips for a total noob?

Hi, i've been given three albino ferrets by a friend. I havent had any for years and my Dad did everything with the one i had. I have two hobs and a jill and the jill and the smaller hob handle ok'ish but the big hob tought me a very painfull lesson this morning, bit me down to the bone and i've lost the feeling in the end of my thumb :icon_redface: I'm not planning on working them until i'm confident they wont savage me :D

So basically does anyone have any tips for me as i need all the help i can get.

Thanks in advance.

Did this guy tell you why he was getting rid of them? Most people only get rid of problem ferrets this late in the season, was it because it kept biting him? or was there another reason. It can take a bit of time but if you get him/them uesd to you handling them you may be mildly surprised at how loyal and affectionate they can become. Start by feeding them a saucer of kitten milk and stroke them while they are feeding after a while try dipping your knuckle in the milk and letting them lick it off. A tap on the nose also works they soon work ouy that if they bite you it "hurts" them. The trouble is going to be breaking the ferrets out of the habit if they have been biting peple for six months or more its going to take time. Most of all spend time with them every day so they get used to you..... Good Luck

Hi, i've been given three albino ferrets by a friend. I havent had any for years and my Dad did everything with the one i had. I have two hobs and a jill and the jill and the smaller hob handle ok'ish but the big hob tought me a very painfull lesson this morning, bit me down to the bone and i've lost the feeling in the end of my thumb :icon_redface: I'm not planning on working them until i'm confident they wont savage me :D

So basically does anyone have any tips for me as i need all the help i can get.

Thanks in advance.

ive got a big hob hes nearly as big as a weasel mine bit me on the nose so i flicked him on the nose and since then he knows not to bite me again or i would blow at him in the face and firmly say no now he looks away every time when he tries nipping but other than that hes as good as gold :good:

:cry: Dont want to be a party pooper, but i have no place in my team for a biting ferret. Had a hob, bred it myself, and he had the same start in life as all my other non biting ferrets. He just was more snappy than the rest, wouldnt learn not to bite. I worked him all last season, getting bitten, but her indoors said give him another chance. This season i didnt work him as much, i like having 10 digits after all, and last week, i went to get the ferrewts out to go ferreting, when the little shit locked onto my ear. Blood everywhere, pissing ouu down my neck, ear on fire, ferret still attatched. Got him off, threw him into the cage, got the 410, shot the b*****d.End of.

I trust all my ferrets 100% none of them bite at all and their regularly sat on my shoulder while im cleaning em out. Not once have i been badly bitten. Now Philg's ferrets on the other hand are vicous buggers who i wouldnt trust as far as i could throw em ;)

Guest Hedgehunter

To stop biting a sharp tap on the nose & say no.This has worked for me for 30 yrs & in that time I have had 1 ferret that was an absolute c**t & a sledgehammer fell on him (accidents will happen).

I'm a bit concerned by this! Whats the point in having ferrets if you're not going to give them enough attention to teach them that your hands are not food, but friends!

Spend time with your ferrets, if it takes ages, thats the way it goes, just keep handling them!

If you really aren't interested in spending time, and want to get rid of them, I'll gladly take them off your hands.

Woody