Advice

take Millets and jake bull x advice get it out with another dog first watching, letting it have a run after every two or three runs of the other dog if she still don't catch run them together,she will click in the end mate.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does she pick up fur or rag it??

not sure if it applys to lurchers but my cocker didn't like feathers so i put a bird in a piece of tights that i made smell of me so she couldn't feel the feathers, once she picked that up a few times it was a great game and i started tearing holes in it so she xould feel some but didn't put her off untill it was all off...now she picks up runners and never looked back....might not be the same with lurchers but if she don't like the feel of fur it might help

(how long do you reckon till someone says"what do you know dickyboy")

Like Millet said, use another dog with the bitch. My mate had one similar but then progressed to picking up (having run with another dog). The next thing it did was retreive let go, retreive and let go etc. Ran with another dog for a couple of nights more and seemed to do the trick. Have you tried gutting the rabbit in front of her and feeding some choice bits as this may help, together with some of the other sound advice. Persevere, it will pay off usually though it can be very frustrating.

to me it would not be too much to worry about.

if she is turning the rabbits like you said and just not tried to connect.

have seen a few hare dogs sold on for the same reason.

and the same person trying to buy them back when some one else puts some

time in.

got a few good replys so far.

dropped rabbits are great as most of us know.

one thing that might help you is to just feed her rabbits gutted of course.

leave her with them until she eats them.

can trigger it off and make them try harder to pick up.when she knows its her dinner

that its chasing.

cant give a pup enough dropped rabbits.some times when they get away

they try pick the next one.

best of luck

macker

• 9 months later...
hard truth mate but its time to give her away to a pet home and start again. never had this with a dog but i know i would not give it kennel space mate.

there is tones of good litters about mate that will give you a second chance at a lamping bitch , i think i would water tho get somthing in the spring that will be readyto nter on easy summer bunnies next year ..

sounds harsh im sure mate but nothing will put you off lurchers more than a dog that wont work.

if you do get another pup make sure to let the pup have loads of time with dead rabbits.

hard truth mate but its time to give her away to a pet home and start again. never had this with a dog but i know i would not give it kennel space mate.

there is tones of good litters about mate that will give you a second chance at a lamping bitch , i think i would water tho get somthing in the spring that will be readyto nter on easy summer bunnies next year ..

sounds harsh im sure mate but nothing will put you off lurchers more than a dog that wont work.

if you do get another pup make sure to let the pup have loads of time with dead rabbits.

YOU F**K UP :11: Edited by whippet boy
I've got a young bitch of 14 months, when out lamping she's up and on rabbits, but just doesn't seem to want to pick up although they are there for easy pickings. Is there anybody who can give me any tips as to what I can do to iron out the problem or has she just not got what it takes?

You don't seem to hear of this anymore, BUT if anyone tells you the old wives tale of removing the dogs clomper, tell them to shove their head up their arse, it's as cruel as f**k. Try ferreting a few rabbits and letting the dog take them in the net, and maybe dropping one or two so the dog can't miss, and like some other lads have said, if you've got the option, let her see an experienced dog doing the job, she might twig that way, but persevere, it'll be worth the effort, if you spend all season getting her right, she'll give you season after season of good sport in repayment.