17. HMR How many rounds

Hello i overheard someone talking in the local gunshop the other day,saying that after just over 1000 rounds their sako quad had lost accuracy. The gunsmith told him the barrel was shot out and that is about the lot for a 17. HMR.

Has anybody else heard of this, seems like a low number of rounds to me .

Bones

1000 rounds for an HMR, bollocks!! They are relatively low velocity, low pressure rounds. SHould last a fairly long time, certainly a lot longer than that.

Has the rifle in question been cleaned properly, ie de-coppered? Copper fouling will cause a loss of accuracy. The moderator is another good place to check. I had a Sak on my old CZ, when I sold the rifle the mod went in the bin - it was heavily worn and didn't like the extra heat/pressure compared with 22LR. It had had <1000 rounds so I would advise a better moderator personally.

Hello i overheard someone talking in the local gunshop the other day,saying that after just over 1000 rounds their sako quad had lost accuracy. The gunsmith told him the barrel was shot out and that is about the lot for a 17. HMR.

Bones

sounds like the gunsmith is looking to sell him a new barrel :nono: there is no way that would be shot out

there good for 6 to 7 times that ! if looked after. he needs to check his mounts, clean his mod, clean the barrel

with some proper cleaner. then see how it shoots. it mite take a 50 odd rounds to get it back on song after scrubbing the barrel out.

if he does that i bet it will be fine again. if not he should check the crown on the rifle. make sure it isnt damaged :yes:

Bones

sounds like the gunsmith is looking to sell him a new barrel :nono: there is no way that would be shot out

there good for 6 to 7 times that ! if looked after. he needs to check his mounts, clean his mod, clean the barrel

with some proper cleaner. then see how it shoots. it mite take a 50 odd rounds to get it back on song after scrubbing the barrel out.

if he does that i bet it will be fine again. if not he should check the crown on the rifle. make sure it isnt damaged :yes:

absolute crap the gunsmith is talking, i've put a hell of alot more than 2000 through mine verging on three i'd say, yes cleaning the hmr is necessary,

As copper will build up so a good clean out will help, as said above check all possible outcomes first, bases mounts rezero if you can't find the problem.

then clean out the barrel, with some type of copper solvent or foam.

tilting the barrel slightly forward so the cleaner doesn't get into the action, leave in for up to five hours or so for a good soak, then get to work with oil and patchs.

mine always takes in excess of 50 rounds to tighten up to grouping after a good clean.............thats the only downside i have with the little .17hmr

good luck........... :gunsmilie:

As has been said.......

But terminology could be playing a part here, the barrel "MAY" be knackered but it is unlikely to be "shot out".

I would expect an HMR to last much longer than 1000 rounds even without cleaning.

First suggestion would be serious clean and check the crown, always a chance of damage there, but to suggest 1000 is all you should expect from a HMR is absolute Bull!!!!

where you lot buying your .17 ammo,was at stalkers at ouston,yesterday and was quoted £25 quid a 50,the whole .17 ammo situation is a bloody scam,was gonna buy one but,£25 a hundred,be real,.22 =£32 for 500,i think

the shops etc are taking the p**s,any ticket issued up here in durham your restricted to buying 500,so loss a bit discount over buying a 1000,which is about a £5,for .22,but prices for .17 ammo are a joke, :wacko: ,well thats my 2 penneth worth,atb,ian

Edited by ace32
where you lot buying your .17 ammo,was at stalkers at ouston,yesterday and was quoted £25 quid a 100,the whole .17 ammo situation is a bloody scam,was gonna buy one but,£25 a hundred,be real,.22 =£32 for 500,i think

the shops etc are taking the p**s,any ticket issued up here in durham your restricted to buying 500,so loss a bit discount over buying a 1000,which is about a £5,but prices for .17 ammo are a joke, :wacko: ,well thats my 2 penneth worth,atb,ian

i agree they can get hornady,remmington,federal ammo in the usa for $12 for 50 :( shows you how our goverment rips the people of the uk off with all the tax the :wankerzo4:

Edited by jamie g