Roe buck > Question (deer in general)

Having a walk around with the dog's today and i was creeping through some wood's trying to flush a bunny or two. I noticed a roe buck hanging off a barbed wire fence by his back leg. Immediatly i grabbed the dog's and tethered them up.

The buck's leg was looking in a bad state, so i felt it neccesary to put the beast out of it's misery in the most humane way i could.

i wish i could of released him but feared that the injury would have had to great of an impact on the critter

It seemed such a waste of sport, and a very tragic ending for a fine mammal. Hung up on a fence :wallbash:

But, needs must.

EDITED TO ADD THE BLOODY QUESTION :D

> In a scenario like this, should i have released the bambi, and he made a run for it, but became bad on his feet. Could i have used my dog(s) to kill the deer. As in the hunting act, it does mention that you can use two hounds to track & kill a wounded animal.

Edited by Rabbithunter

i would have killed it if i had been in a smilar scenario cause the chances are the leg was snapped completely when i found a deer caught on a fence through double barb the leg was completely snapped hangin on by a bit of skin, in my case it was already dead, but if it was alive then i would have killed it chances are the injury is too bad.

I is illegal to allow a dog to kill a deer.

The hunting act only allows upto 2 dogs to flush a deer, not kill it.

SO what about a hunter letting his dogs flush & hold a deer, and the hunter humanely dispatches the deer...... as this technically would not fall in "allowing a dog to kill a deer"

Cheers

I is illegal to allow a dog to kill a deer.

The hunting act only allows upto 2 dogs to flush a deer, not kill it.

SO what about a hunter letting his dogs flush & hold a deer, and the hunter humanely dispatches the deer...... as this technically would not fall in "allowing a dog to kill a deer"

Cheers

what you have mentioned there IS illegal, but charlie if you shoot a deer and it runs on then a dog is allowed to track it and it finds the deer is still active then im sure the dog can finish it off, because you are ending the animals suffering and if the dog didn't then the animal would escape wounded and die slowly and painfully as far as i am aware that would be ok

also to answer your question that would probs be illegal because "dropping" rabbits for dogs is illegal and that would be deemed a similair event i think

Edited by ferretingkid
What if you didnt have a knife to "cut its throat"...... is it not just as easy, certainly quicker, to kill a roe deer by breaking its neck?

I always carry a knife,and let me see if i got you right.You broke a bucks neck when it was hanging on a fence with those antlers thrashing about. :icon_eek:

I think some of you might be mistaking the Hunting Act as a law brought in to improve the welfare of the Animal!

No you can't let a dog bring down a shot, wounded deer to end it's suffering/misery, dogs may only be used to flush or track, that's it as far I know?

If a deer keeps running after being shot/injuryed then better luck next time. As for killing the deer yourself? unless you have permission from the landowner (otherwise it's poaching) then your to walk away, leaving the poor bugger hung on the fence. Contact the local authorities who will finally get round to it once they find time in their busy schedules and who will contact a registered, trusted stalker to go and put it out of it's misery.

I think some of you might be mistaking the Hunting Act as a law brought in to improve the welfare of the Animal!

No you can't let a dog bring down a shot, wounded deer to end it's suffering/misery, dogs may only be used to flush or track, that's it as far I know?

If a deer keeps running after being shot/injuryed then better luck next time. As for killing the deer yourself? unless you have permission from the landowner (otherwise it's poaching) then your to walk away, leaving the poor bugger hung on the fence. Contact the local authorities who will finally get round to it once they find time in their busy schedules and who will contact a registered, trusted stalker to go and put it out of it's misery.

My friend has a GSP for deer and this dog is trained to give tongue when it finds the DEAD deer. However it is also trained to HOLD the deer if it is still alive but it certainly will not kill the animal - that is also what I understand is acceptable within the law

Peter

You broke a bucks neck when it was hanging on a fence with those antlers thrashing about. :icon_eek:

It were the two front feet, and the back foot that wasnt hanging that i were more bothered about.

Getting close enough to use a knife, and your still well within reach of feet & antlers ;)