Has anyone any experiance of using metal piping for an artifical earth, i know stone is probably best then

ribbed plastic but i have some good lenghts of metal but dont want to go through all the hassel if someone

has the knowledge they are a no no .....i cant see a problem , over to you :thumbs:

Has anyone any experiance of using metal piping for an artifical earth, i know stone is probably best then

ribbed plastic but i have some good lenghts of metal but dont want to go through all the hassel if someone

has the knowledge they are a no no .....i cant see a problem , over to you :thumbs:

they would not be anygood mate there to cold when its frezing mate will make the chamber cool and damp mate take them to the tat yard you will get a good price for them at the min :thumbs:

Ive had them out of metal pipes many times..In fact an old friend put a couple of old lamp posts into a galvanised tank and it held within a month .I remember it well as it was snowing when I had one out and they were tapered very tight at the ends .I think if its in the right spot and quiet it should be OK ..Nothing to lose have you?

Could cause you trouble if the dog decides to have a taste mid tube.And i think it was in one of JD's books that told of the dangers of rust in the pipes,i think one dog died and another in a bad way from what i remember.If you're using pipes that are unbreakable its best to cut them into 1m lengths so that you can dig a section out should you need to.

had one out of metal pipe when i where a kid munging off school also know boyz bolting a fox out of a steel pipe and the small black bitch geting stuck trying to follow, the deben wouldnt work found the bitch in the end and they had to cut her out with a section of the pipe.

Metal pipes will hold foxes, if as already stated positioned correctly.reading some o fthe above posts I wonder how much work a terrier would get if all earths have to pass there health and safety assesment lol, every earth is potentialy dangerous to a terrier, live with it ,its one of the reasons they deserve admiration jmho

Thanks for the replys lads, a few differing opinions but i think i will do as wazz 77 suggested

cut them into meter lenghths just in case, there not cast so should be easy enough to cut and hopefully locate

being thinner as earthy said might be darn cold so i will put a stone bed in it ...and as someone else pointed out

nothing to lose !!! thanks again.

Best thing to do wood smoke is fill the bottoms of the pipe with soil as you're laying them,about 2-3" you could always put a stone or wooden box in if you think the pipes will be too cold but as long as there's no draughts i reckon it would be ok

I work a spot with metal pipes running on top of the ground they are about 200 metres long and each section are about 12 ft bolted together we get foxes out of them every year and have done for years can be hard if dog nails one mid tube but usually get a bolts

There's a cast iron pipe local to me that holds regular away and one we do a bit further away that holds, we used to do the coiled iron pipes on the old railway banking behind a certain nightclub and got plenty foxes from them, these coiled pipes have manholes every 50 yards, so they're quite an easy bolting job, but as said, metal pipes definately hold foxes.