Police Interview for FAC and SGC

Hi,

I am not sure about the FAC but both times the firearms officer came round to visit regarding my SGC its been relatively informal. The first guy did ask where I would be shooting though and where I intended to keep cartridges but he knew that my dad had a shotgun for years so he seemed a bit more relaxed maybe? The second guy was equally relaxed but this was for a change of address and so knew I had already been inspected before, think he just asked how many guns the cabinet took, might have been for his records?

I guess it depends on the character of the guy that looks after your area but all I can say from my experience is that providing you come across as being responsible and show that you take the security of the guns seriously (e.g. not leaving cartridges strewn across the floor) then it seemed pretty hassle free.

FAC could be different, I have no idea.

Cheers,

AS

Hi,

I am not sure about the FAC but both times the firearms officer came round to visit regarding my SGC its been relatively informal. The first guy did ask where I would be shooting though and where I intended to keep cartridges but he knew that my dad had a shotgun for years so he seemed a bit more relaxed maybe? The second guy was equally relaxed but this was for a change of address and so knew I had already been inspected before, think he just asked how many guns the cabinet took, might have been for his records?

I guess it depends on the character of the guy that looks after your area but all I can say from my experience is that providing you come across as being responsible and show that you take the security of the guns seriously (e.g. not leaving cartridges strewn across the floor) then it seemed pretty hassle free.

Cheers,

AS

Thanks, this guy sounds ok on the phone. Should go ok.

Guest basil46
Hi,

Cheers,

AS

Good luck mate. Think security, cause he will be looking, especially with the FAC. If it`s an access point, lock/bolt it. Look tidy, be honest and polite.

basil.

my one asked me how much the area of land was i was shooting on, he checked da cabinet looked at that was it, there was no contact with my refrences though is that normal i thought they usually got in contact with them?

Hi,

Cheers,

AS

Good luck mate. Think security, cause he will be looking, especially with the FAC. If it`s an access point, lock/bolt it. Look tidy, be honest and polite.

basil.

If you act like a normal reasonable human being, following advice here, the most complicated question he will probably ask is..."do you have any biscuits to go with this cup of tea?" :thumbs::thumbs:

A bit of soft music and candles goes down nicely :thumbs: ... seriously though.. it will be quite informal mainly checking your cabinate is secure and you're not a militant psyco.

Edited by Local

When they came for mine for my FAC (admittedly for .22RF which is the most ricochet prone round around), they were asking gentle questions to see that I understood basic safety for that rifle, e.g. always having a backstop, what constituted a good backstop, what was the range of a .22 bullet etc. So if you haven't already done so, do your homework on safety!

They also wnated to discuss a little bit more about my 'good reason' - why I wanted to move up from air rifle to rimfire, where I wanted to use it etc.

Other than that, it was very friendly, and MY FAC turned up a few days later!

Good luck!

M

When i first applied for my FAC i had to show them round the ground i was going to be shooting over and answer questions about safety etc (they were just checking out what i new about safety and my knowlege of the area) i think they wanted to see the land as it had never been land checked for the size of rifle i was applying for (.222) and then when i applied for a .243 they checked it again?

But don't worry as long as you come across as genuine and polite and don't act like a blood thirsty maniac just out to kill everthing you will be fine. :thumbs:

When they came for mine for my FAC (admittedly for .22RF which is the most ricochet prone round around), they were asking gentle questions to see that I understood basic safety for that rifle, e.g. always having a backstop, what constituted a good backstop, what was the range of a .22 bullet etc. So if you haven't already done so, do your homework on safety!

They also wnated to discuss a little bit more about my 'good reason' - why I wanted to move up from air rifle to rimfire, where I wanted to use it etc.

Other than that, it was very friendly, and MY FAC turned up a few days later!

Good luck!

M

Good advice there! Just be polite, sensible, and let your enthusiasm for your sport, your knowledge etc shine through. That's why you want the cert., to help you to enjoy your sport. Sensible, polite people usually get a trouble free passage. Don't forget that your FEO is a good bloke to ask for further advice!

Hope it all goes well.