hi,just wondering if someone can help me out with my patterdale,shes a year old and while she is good at home the minuate i let her off the lead when out walking she is nose down and off hunting no matter owe loud i shout she will not come back a 1 hour walk turns into 3 hours by the time she comes back then dances about while try to get the lead on her.I have kept terriers for 2 years and out of the dogs i have owned she is the only one that as done it.PLEASE HELP THANKS PAUL :(

hi,just wondering if someone can help me out with my patterdale,shes a year old and while she is good at home the minuate i let her off the lead when out walking she is nose down and off hunting no matter owe loud i shout she will not come back a 1 hour walk turns into 3 hours by the time she comes back then dances about while try to get the lead on her.I have kept terriers for 2 years and out of the dogs i have owned she is the only one that as done it.PLEASE HELP THANKS PAUL :(

:haha: Get used to it i keep mine on couples until we get to earths or in the summer i take em out were they meet none but the story is earths mean they bolt into em end off!¬ :no::cry::p:(

i to keep mine on lead till out for a dig ,they know whats coming when you let them off.BANG STRAIGHT IN.its good practise to do this i think it brings them on ?you can give them excercise go to your local park early morning when no berks are about,just make sure there are no earths local.good luck.. :good:

had same problem with my 12 month old bitch.kept her on couple with older bitch for 3 months .she has got a lot better but still keep them on couple most of time cause the temptation is still their and last thing you need is wating for ages when you dont need it.must say though half the time they do come back within a few minutes but half the time they dont.at the end of the day they are only doin [bANNED TEXT] comes naturally to them.rather they did then did not dont you think

had same problem with my 12 month old bitch.kept her on couple with older bitch for 3 months .she has got a lot better but still keep them on couple most of time cause the temptation is still their and last thing you need is wating for ages when you dont need it.must say though half the time they do come back within a few minutes but half the time they dont.at the end of the day they are only doin [bANNED TEXT] comes naturally to them.rather they did then did not dont you think

thanks for the advice folks,i will couple her with another dog,can't take on local park 2 good earths on there trouble is it's surrounded with houses and nosey people.Asking for trouble :o thank you all anyway. :good:

Sounds like she's found something more exciting than yourself (no disrespect intended), try to develop your walk time into a fun time for her. Get a skin, lay a scent down and hide it at a good distance ("mock-up" the "hunting-up"), place a line on her collar and happen across the scent, let her run it's course and recall her once she's marked (useing the line to re-enforce the command if needed. If (when) she recalls praise accordingly. develop the scenario so that you can call her off while she is running the previouslly left scent, throw her off her feet if she blanks you, determine a one word command that you should fix to be used for an instant recall (and obviouslly voice it before you throw her off her feet) regardless of events. Don't make the mistake of useing the word "no" because of it's multiple uses in other area's (the police dog handlers use the word "here"). The first time she does allow you to call her off running the line and returns to your feet then give the command to find almost instantly, the longer you wait then the longer she will make you wait further down the road, give the re-command to "find" the moment she returns to your feet (she will now be excited/and you will be the reason). Let her play with the skin and develop the time from calling "off" to "find" into ever increasing periods (10 sec's/20 sec's etc), she will not be aware of it but she will inadvertantly be getting steadier (by 10 sec intervals) and will work out that one recall gets her a "do" at finding, step it up and demand two recalls for one find etc. Fix the exercise for 7 consecutive days regardless of where she is upto on the 3rd/4th or 5th....7 consecutive days!. Carry this out with no other dogs present and ideally in an area free of other scents. Then move to an area where live prey can be found and repeat. If ever she is particularilly obstrocalus (sp) shut-up shop and return home, let her have a "think". If you want to be particularilly comprehensive in fixing this command...then after the skin training and before you repeat the exercise with live prey then you could present her with a little mock exam by taking her to an area where she likes to dig (earth immediatley infront of a dry stone wall), let her dig away and practise the "here" command, repeat everything involved with the skin but this time its recall from digging opposed to scenting, offer her the same deal (ever increasing amounts of recalls for the chance to have at do at digging), she'll have it... cause in her mind she's having you over and getting her way and so are you. Good luck :good:

That said, i am no big time hunter but i've never had my feet run over... so figure that is the best place for my dog till i tell it otherwise.

Oneredtrim.

thanks for advice [bANNED TEXT] i will couple her up 1st see if that helps if not i will try your idea,shes driving me mad she see's more foxes then i do,thanks again :good:

did not mean it like that mate.always make sure they can have a good run when i now its safe.i dont just let them hunt up anywhere they like.only when i think its one hundred per cent safe.i should of worded that differently .sorry lads and lasses

I always let my terriers hunt up for me

Dont believe in keeping them on leads untill you reach an earth all the time, although there are times when you have to choose this option,

My terriers have found me many an earth i didnt knoe exsist as they have gone deep into cover and pushed the fox to ground and hence find me new earths

Just my opinion but sounds like she is keen to work, just needs some dicipline on recall

Im sure you lot will give me some stick for this but as I said just my opinion

I always let my terriers hunt up for me

Dont believe in keeping them on leads untill you reach an earth all the time, although there are times when you have to choose this option,

My terriers have found me many an earth i didnt knoe exsist as they have gone deep into cover and pushed the fox to ground and hence find me new earths

Just my opinion but sounds like she is keen to work, just needs some dicipline on recall

Im sure you lot will give me some stick for this but as I said just my opinion

i do not mind her hunting up, like you she as found me earths i do not know about its just some of the land i hunt as badger settes on them and i do not want her in there plus i am next to a busy railway line and the m1 motorway and wherever the scent goes so dos she.thanks for your opinion on subject. :good:

Guest wildogman

my mates terriers waited for the order sat at the hole waiting for the words of him and dident piss about and only time we ever needed two put the terriers on leeds was when we was going home and we got onto streets l o l gd postings all

my mates terriers waited for the order sat at the hole waiting for the words of him and dident piss about and only time we ever needed two put the terriers on leeds was when we was going home and we got onto streets l o l gd postings all

hi,wilddogman my other terrier is like that(he is 6 yrs lakie)he will come back when called and walk to heel,its just the young on.