ferrets heat

A scientific abstract from Medline:

Lab Anim Sci. 1985 Jun;35(3):280-6 Bone marrow hypoplasia associated with estrus in ferrets.

Sherrill A, Gorham J.

Bone marrow hypoplasia was characterized in a group of female ferrets during prolonged estrus. All ferrets exhibited hematological changes characteristic of various degrees of bone marrow hypoplasia. Hematological findings included initial thrombocytosis and leukocytosis followed by thrombocytopenia, leukopenia and anemia. Platelet counts below 50,000/microliters were observed in 55% of the ferrets. Hemorrhagic anemia due to thrombocytopenia was the most common cause of death and the mortality rate was 40%. Histopathological findings included bone marrow hypoplasia affecting all cell lines and decreased splenic extramedullary hematopoiesis.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jojoamojo
There's no actual data there.

What proportion of jill left in season go on to develop aplastic anaemia?

Because unless you have that information you can't assess the risk.

so would you leave a jill in season?

A scientific abstract from Medline:

Lab Anim Sci. 1985 Jun;35(3):280-6 Bone marrow hypoplasia associated with estrus in ferrets.

Sherrill A, Gorham J.

Hemorrhagic anemia due to thrombocytopenia was the most common cause of death and the mortality rate was 40%.

Does that mean 40% mortality in all the sample, or of those that went on to develop anaemia?

Guest bigredbusa

maybe jojo's daughter the vet can answer . :)

well if everyone bred the ferts to take them out of season it would just get plain silly and the rescue's can blame it all on us lol , as it goes ferreters have chosen when and when not to breed and the ferts still survived ??? lol

i can smell it coming thru my screen

if you dont have access to a sniped hob , keep her clean and cared for . :)

Guest jojoamojo
What proortion of jills left in season go on to develop aplastic anaemia, my little rosebud :whistling:

now why would i know the answer to that seeing as YOU are the science teacher and i am a mere pot hunter freak who has too many ferrets?

I have no idea, i just know anyone with half an ounce of common sense and who cares a scrap for their ferrets wouldnt leave them in season and 'keep them clean' what ever the hell that means

Edited by jojoamojo
i just know anyone with half an ounce of common sense and who cares a scrap for their ferrets wouldnt leave them in season and 'keep them clean' what ever the hell that means

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would want to know what the risks were, before embarking on surgery or injections of chemicals.

YOU are the one making the claims. It's not my place to back up YOUR (so far unevidenced) assertions.

And I've never called you a pot-hunter, I called you a ferret collector. And I still do.

Edited by droid
Guest jojoamojo
Anyone with an ounce of common sense would want to know what the risks were, before embarking on surgery or injections of chemicals.

YOU are the one making the claims. It's not my place to back up YOUR (so far unevidenced) assertions.

And I've never called you a pot-hunter, I called you a ferret collector. And I still do.

LMAO, dave this is soley another opportunity for a row, you and me rowing again, you are old enough to be my dad and you need to grow up.

you 'think' i collect ferrets, you also 'think' i run a rescue or have ferrets to rehome according to your recent posts here

in actual fact you know fook all about me- except you dont like me :victory:

I have no idea, i just know anyone with half an ounce of common sense and who cares a scrap for their ferrets wouldnt leave them in season and 'keep them clean' what ever the hell that means

come on jojo, it aint rocket science, keep them clean, rather than leave them in season, in a dirty muck filled fly infested cage :doh:

but without jumping on the driod bandwagon, he's got a point, your quick enough to start throwing these explanations into the conversation of why a jill left in heat will die, yet when asked the percentage, you sidestep an answer, maybe you should just keep all these wonderful facts to yourself, and then when $hit hits the fan, you can point at us "worker keepers" and quote how better "pet keepers" are

Guest bigredbusa

what you lot must understand jojo has more ferrets then my local indian restaurant has relations so she we should all listen to her wisdom , she has stated your ferret will die if not taken out of season , we have been told to put eye drops over the counter into the ferts eyes , and not not forgetting the classic ....................... my 11 year old daughter helps out with operations !!!!

jojo when you post now it just goes in one ear and out of the other as you do come out with some great bollocks

Guest jojoamojo

come on jojo, it aint rocket science, keep them clean, rather than leave them in season, in a dirty muck filled fly infested cage :doh:

but without jumping on the driod bandwagon, he's got a point, your quick enough to start throwing these explanations into the conversation of why a jill left in heat will die, yet when asked the percentage, you sidestep an answer, maybe you should just keep all these wonderful facts to yourself, and then when $hit hits the fan, you can point at us "worker keepers" and quote how better "pet keepers" are

not at all, i have no idea on the percentage, i have given you the links to research the illnesses for yourselves, its not throwing explanations ts a fact that it happens, we pet owners dont just throw random facts at workers, it is true, call your vet and ask them dont beleiev me., i do my own homework on ferret illnesses Aplastic is not something i pretend to have vast experience of as i neuter my jills and have a vas hob too, i wouldnt risk aplastic anemia or pyos as its horrible for the ferret and very nasty and expensive to treat

and i dont have a problem with workers at all, i mean take stubby, from what i have seen he takes immaculate care of the ferrets and if a vet was needed there wouldnt be a moment lost in getting a ferret treatment, he has brilliant housing (i would kill for a ferret house like he has) and i wouldnt hesitate giving a ferret to him as you can see he looks after them, and uses collars and quite frankly is an example to all keepers on here. ( hope you dont mind me mentioning your name stubby)

workers and pet owners have shitty ferrets and give shitty advice, i but in on loads of threads if i can help. as i say dont believe me, go check it for yourselves, i would, dave knows prolonged season in jills can cause aplastic anemia, he wont back me up as wont kay as its me posting the info, thats the only reason :) as him if his ferrets are neutered

Guest jojoamojo
jojo when you post now it just goes in one ear and out of the other as you do come out with some great bollocks

wasnt it you asking me for the dose of synulox the other day? :feck: the sole reason i didnt tell you the dose as you would have thrown it back at me :angel: