Midges - a discussion on how to keep them away

Guest JohnGalway

Guest JohnGalway

Evening folks,

We had intended to stay out for a while shooting last night, but after an hour the midges had us driven home. I also donated a pint or twelve of my own blood to them at work this week. Normally I use that Avon Forest Skin So Soft Fresh stuff. It's worked for me in the past, now it doesn't seem to be doing the job. I think Citroenella oil is the ingredient they don't like? I wonder does it have a "use by" date and is that why this no longer works for me :hmm:

We've got a yelllow can of spray stuff for work, must find out it's name and let ye know. Seems to work, not sure what's in it though, sure doesn't taste good anyway :clapper:

What I'd like to know is what do you all use to keep midges away? Only interested in stuff that you've used, not pub stories :whistling: Not that anyone on here would tell those...

Right then, let's get the show on the road.

John :)

smoking!!!...........that keeps em away!!!!

but if your not a smoker...................you can buy small candles from the garden centre which are equally as good!!

works every time...........................use both methods when fishing................otherwise i'd smoke 40 fags a night!!!!

cheers

sean

Guest JohnGalway

but if your not a smoker...................you can buy small candles from the garden centre which are equally as good!!

works every time...........................use both methods when fishing................otherwise i'd smoke 40 fags a night!!!!

cheers

sean

My mate is a smoker, trust me he got eaten alive as well :clapper:

John, I think the yellow can is Jungle Formula.

I use Mossi-Guard, I spray it on my feet (before I put my socks on) I spray it on my face, hands, arms, down my back and front, infact I spray it every bloody where and still get bit. I've tried everything and still get bit.

I take vitamin B tablets, I eat yeast extract, I shower daily (sometimes twice) and still get bit.

I hate the little :censored::censored::censored: ards.

Rob

Guest david1976

avon skin so soft does the trick.

I used it the other week in forestry and i did not get bothered at all.

Failing that try a bugwear jacket, fantastic although a little too hot on warm days.

cheers

sean

My mate is a smoker, trust me he got eaten alive as well :clapper:

well bugger me..............they must be flesh eating mutants you have there john!!!!

Try not showering, or come to that using deodorant, we went on the Norfolk broads last year and there was a big problem reported there, so I did a good deal of research, and yes the yeast thing came up too, funny enough at that exact same time I went to the £1 shop on a usual dog toy visit and hey presto, mozzie stay away spray, Altan (SP) it wasnt in spray bottles but I transferred it to pump action bottles. When we was on the broads it was riddles with mozzies but me and the 3 kids never got bit, we used the spray, the ex got a few as he didnt use it most of the time, lol.............

avon skin so soft does the trick.

I used it the other week in forestry and i did not get bothered at all.

Failing that try a bugwear jacket, fantastic although a little too hot on warm days.

just been on the phone to a mate of mine who was in the marines.............mentioned it to him and he says AVON MOISTURISING LOTION better than the MOD issue, supposidly, dogs bollocks stuff!!!

just think how much younger you'll look!!

Edited by SEAN3513