Amoxycillin

Human Amoxycillin, is there any reason why they shouldn't be used on dogs, I recently ran out of Synulox and tried some Amox 250mg.

The dog seemed ok on them and healed as normal just wondered if there was any reason why not to use them.

Dillon

Human Amoxycillin, is there any reason why they shouldn't be used on dogs, I recently ran out of Synulox and tried some Amox 250mg.

The dog seemed ok on them and healed as normal just wondered if there was any reason why not to use them.

Dillon

DILLON AS LONG AS YOU GET THE MG/WEIGHT RATIO RIGHT THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME MATE....YIS FELLMAN

ive seen alot of dogs ruined by over use of antibiotics, people using it on every scrape causing them to be imune to the drug. this seems to be worse within the terrier circle, just be cautious using it

• 3 weeks later...

i prefur the capsules, because you can open them up and pour them over the wound aswell as giving it to them orally

SHAUN WOULD NOT PREFER TO GIVE AMOXICILLIN ORALLY ,MEANS YOU KNOW THE CORRECT DOSAGE AND THE ANTIBIOTIC IS WORKING FROM INSIDE TO OUTSIDE , AND THEN USE THE TERRAMYCIN SPRAY ON THE WOUND AS THIS WILL GET STRAIGHT INTO THE WOUNDED AREA ON THE OUTSIDE MAKING SURE THERE IS VERY LITTLE CHANCE OF ANY INFECTION EVER SETTING IN ,IVE TRIED THIS WAY AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY THE HEALING PROCESS WAS EXCELLENT .

Heres another spanner in the works-powdered antibiotic like this does not enter the bloodstream from external contact ,It has to be taken orally then it is broken down by stomach acid and absorbed slowly into the blood stream.Thats why the vet gives an injection of antibiotic along with a course of tablets.the jab starts working instantly because its a liquid.

Something else for anyone thinking of giving antibiotics without vet guidance.Prolonged use of A.B will severely damage the dogs kidneys and like shaun said it is not necessary to jab every injury.Bacteria present on the skin of every dog will one day become immune to it and be the devil to cure .Use creams and wound powder on all but the worst PUNCTURE wounds.

• 4 months later...

Dillon

amoxycillin is a broad spectrum a/b no prob some dogs have been known to have a reaction to synulox one of mine did,he was on a course of it for a munty spike.