God what have i done wrong

I took the dogs a walk a litle while ago & the greyhound had a short run, no more than a few seconds & she then just plodded along with the terrier, we went on a field & she had a little roll round in the grass & a mooch round, then when we got back on the path that runs throug the field i put the lead back on her & she stopped,

She wouldnt move & i took her muzzle off & she was really panting , she then walked back home very slowley i loosened her collar a bit , she didnt collapse or go off her legs & it had been around 5 hours since her feed , she wasnt racing round like a loony just a couple off quick few second sprints & she didnt appear to hurt her legs at all,

On getting in she had a drink & went right in her crate , and flopped down panting even more

I have tried to get her to drink a bit more but she wouldnt, she has now stopped panting & seems much more calmer i will watch her closely & ring the vet if she is still off colour later on

I took the dogs a walk a litle while ago & the greyhound had a short run, no more than a few seconds & she then just plodded along with the terrier, we went on a field & she had a little roll round in the grass & a mooch round, then when we got back on the path that runs throug the field i put the lead back on her & she stopped,

She wouldnt move & i took her muzzle off & she was really panting , she then walked back home very slowley i loosened her collar a bit , she didnt collapse or go off her legs & it had been around 5 hours since her feed , she wasnt racing round like a loony just a couple off quick few second sprints & she didnt appear to hurt her legs at all,

On getting in she had a drink & went right in her crate , and flopped down panting even more

I have tried to get her to drink a bit more but she wouldnt, she has now stopped panting & seems much more calmer i will watch her closely & ring the vet if she is still off colour later on

Is the dog maybe dehydrated because of the heat?Try giving her some lukewarm with some sugar through it.Or has the dog maybe ate something thats been lying about where you were exercising them?Hopefully she will come around for you .All the best with her

Is the dog maybe dehydrated because of the heat?Try giving her some lukewarm with some sugar through it.Or has the dog maybe ate something thats been lying about where you were exercising them?Hopefully she will come around for you .All the best with her

I did add some sugar in the water she drank when i got back , she is just sleepy now , she has stopped panting & seems content , she is alert as i shouted her & she looked up , i thought she may have been biten as she was rolling in the grass on her back , i checked to see if i could see a possible bite entry wound as i know grass snakes are seen up where i took her a walk

I did add some sugar in the water she drank when i got back , she is just sleepy now , she has stopped panting & seems content , she is alert as i shouted her & she looked up , i thought she may have been biten as she was rolling in the grass on her back , i checked to see if i could see a possible bite entry wound as i know grass snakes are seen up where i took her a walk

Do you have any antibiotics you could give her i.e Amoxycillin?Just in case it is a virus she has picked up

Well as quick as she went very distresed , she has now walked from the crate, stretched tail wagging & dived her head in the peddle bin looking for food as though nothing happened , so after mithering me to the point of a bloody breakdown she appears fine :yes:

I will watch her for the rest off the day & make sure she dosent start coughing or get any worse

Thanks for the replies & advice everyone, much appreciated :thumbs:

I hope she is alright Kay.................Martin.

She appears fine right now, maybe i worried to much in the first place & she was knackered , but she means such a lot to me i couldnt bare to loose her to something i should be genned up on & something that could have been prevented by me

Are you sure she wasn't stung by a wasp or bee: that sounds exactly like the reaction my terriers have had both times when they've been stung. It might be worth checking her carefully all over to see if there's still a sting in her somewhere.

I hope she is alright Kay.................Martin.

She appears fine right now, maybe i worried to much in the first place & she was knackered , but she means such a lot to me i couldnt bare to loose her to something i should be genned up on & something that could have been prevented by me

As long as the dog is okay thats the main thing and dont sweat it about not knowing everything nobody does and thats one of the good things about forums like these is that you can call on other peoples experience.Hope everything turns out ok for you and your dogs all the best.FROST

Guest Ditch_Shitter
i checked to see if i could see a possible bite entry wound as i know grass snakes are seen up where i took her a walk

Just for future referance, Kay; Grass Snakes only have teeth like a mans chin stubble and are completely without venom and perfectly harmless to Dog or owner.

An Adder bite would be something completely differant and would likely exhibit as local swelling at the bite site, shortly before ye found ye had a Very sick Dog on ye hands.

Either way, finding puncture wounds would be like a needle in a hay stack and would only waste time, which ever snake could have bitten a Dog.

Glad she seems ok now, what ever it was.

Are you sure she wasn't stung by a wasp or bee: that sounds exactly like the reaction my terriers have had both times when they've been stung. It might be worth checking her carefully all over to see if there's still a sting in her somewhere.

I must admit a bite or sting was the first thing i thought off, i will go over her with a fine tooth comb now to see if its a sting as you say :thumbs:

I must admit a bite or sting was the first thing i thought off, i will go over her with a fine tooth comb now to see if its a sting as you say :thumbs:

Same thing happened to my terrier, worried me sick, she had been stung. Gave her some calpol and she had a sleep then was fine,what a worry they are.

Same thing happened to my terrier, worried me sick, she had been stung. Gave her some calpol and she had a sleep then was fine,what a worry they are.

You aint kidding :laugh: