I've been feeding my lurchers BARF for about 4 or 5 years and they do very well on it but reading some of the threads on here and other sites i've noticed that a lot of you add garlic as a supplement and have a few questions regarding its use.......

What benefits do you get from garlic?

What form do you give it in? e.g. powdered, capsules, fresh etc....

How much do you give them?

Where do you buy it?

Many thanks for any replies :thumbs::D:D

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Garlic's all round good for a Dog, mate. Only it Does contain far lesser ammounts of the chemicals found in onions and which can, cumulatively lead to a form of aneimia.

However, used in moderation, in what ever form ye choose, it's a fair additive to the diet.

Saying that, I don't bother with it myself, simply because I have no easy source of it. But I know plenty who do. Just adding a fraction to the weekly feed intake.

I suspect it's one of those things though - like much of that all out " Barf " caper, where ye'll get a hundred different, precise answers from a hundred differant people.

The whole idea behind garlic is that it when in the bloodstream internal parasites don't thrive.

Then as garlic is in the blood external bloodsucking parasites wont be there either.

It works too, the secret is getting it in to the dog.

I feed it raw by chopping in fine and mixing it in their food. Some people buy it concentrated.

I also put it in their water as I do my ferrets, canaries and fowls water.

Mind you everything still gets it's routine worming.

Garlic is not a cure all I just use it in my day to day routine.

i feed it the same way Neil, but never heard of putting in their water, do you just drop it in raw ?

ditchshitter its a doddle to grow mate, if you've none handy.

Edited by lawrence

I just plop a clove in the water or a cut clove in the ferrets water bottle. I thought it might stop them drinking but it doesn't, although my Springer likes picking out the garlic and carrying it around.

I'm not putting it in the water long enough to know if it works. I started putting it in the water after a friend remarked that he hadn't lost a chick since he started doing .

I just plop a clove in the water or a cut clove in the ferrets water bottle. I thought it might stop them drinking but it doesn't, although my Springer likes picking out the garlic and carrying it around.

I'm not putting it in the water long enough to know if it works. I started putting it in the water after a friend remarked that he hadn't lost a chick since he started doing .

dead on Neil thanks, you live and learn, i'll give it a go mate.

I buy cheap garlic ready chopped and frozen from the supermarket half a teaspoon every day per dog used it for years seems to work for fleas.

I still worm every three mths but the tablets never seem to make any difference to the dogs condition after so maybe garlic does keep worms at bay too either way its part and parcel of their diet at ours.

I feed kibble one day and raw the next, on the kibble days powdered garlic is added to the soaked kibble, cant not eat it or it would be a whole lot of food left, lol...

Touch wood.............................. (laminate everywhere, grrrrrrrrrr) since using garlic, some 6 years ago, none of my dogs have had a tick or had fleas, now we walk often and have local cats that like to hang around the back garden, we also take the dogs out where we go shooting, full of flea bitten rabbits, still as yet nothing.

I wouldnt give any supplement every day and I also fast the adults once a week, has worked fine so far.

I go to the stables to get my powdered garlic, my last 1 kg tub cost me £7 if I remember rightly, will last 6 months (ish) around 5 dogs, I only add 1 teaspoon every other day and half that for the pup.