Bellman & Flint Locator

Ive got the new locators and am quite impressed, the collar casing is solid it comes with a 1 year warranty all components can be replaced so no need to buy new collarif something does go wrong, Its great for finding the terrier in gorse or thick cover but to be honest for digging i prefer the old deben system. I am have only had one dig with the bellman system and found it difficult to pin point the dog, the high pitch beeping also drives me mad. So from now on if i am raking about the bellman collar will be on the dog as will the deben collar. Once ive found the mark them ill be using the deben as my digging collar. It might be that with practice the bellman will be ok but i have doubts as to how accurate it is..

Funny you should mention that Carreg...the lads i know who have trialed it said the proto type was to weak...and as a result it DID get damaged...So it was back to the drawing board, and the end result is a VERY strong casing...you will have to see one to understand, but i rate it highly...you must remeber that when using the new system, you have to FORGET everything you know about using the old debens, its totaly different...you have to retrain yourself for it use...once you have done that you will be wondering how you ever got on without it!...

all the best

Kye..

I would say it would be sound mate...and even IF a big rat ruins it, if it within a year, you can get a replacement one...i would say they would be ok though mate..only one way to find out!

Kye..

Hi Paul...the lads testing it out for B & F are some of the best terrier men i have ever met...they wouldnt sell it if it wasnt up to it...its bben made BUY terrier men, FOR terrier men...as for using both colors at the same time, i dont know...all the best.

Kye..

Guest Corkonian

Would these be better especially for anyone that does a bit of open hunting with the terriers?:

http://www.nitehunters.com/rats3.htm

The whole kit is a lot more expensive but the exchange rates are good at the moment.

The range is 2 to 9 miles depending on terrain.

If you got a receiver with an attenuator switch you can do close in location - never used anything like these so don't know how accurate it would be for a dig?

I remember on one of the US terrier forums years ago some fella had collars based on this hound telemetry custom made for digging.

Kye: your GF sent on a copy of Full Cry to me a while back :good: loads of adds in that for this kind of stuff - still haven't gotten around to buying a set though.

Guest terriermad
A bit steep I think Ian , I think some of the big terrier rescues could have done with these over the years, but the price would have to come down to make them competetive.

right my mate ,has tried these things out and says they are the dogs danglies .

he said and i quote "its not that dear "" if you take into account what a decent digging dog is worth"

and to be fair hes right

yis fellman

how much are they ? Daz (terriermad)

• 1 month later...
Thanks to Kye here are some pics of the new locator collar.

It's not all about depth with these new collars. I lost a good bitch last year in drain that only runs for twenty five yards under a private road, it's only a couple of foot but you can't dig it and in doing this drain for above twenty years we've never had to, it's an easy bolt. The bitch must have got into some kind of side chute or something and we never heard or saw her again, there is absolutely no way she could have come out, nets etc. and a man at either end, we tried the echo disc that makes the Deben collar read to 30 feet and found nothing anywhere in the surrounding area. A local landowner says there are sunken culverts all over the nearby fields and we tried everywhere for weeks, maybe one of these boxes would have found something, who knows. I've just ordered one because I agree, no matter what the cost, it's bugger all compared to a good honest digging terrier.

P.S.

This is my first attempt at this so I hope it bloody wellen works